What to do this week: Video game tournament, trivia night and more

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: March 27-April 2.

Cora Snow, Deputy News Editor

Monday

Learn about Islam in 12th-century Spain

19 Washington Square North

4 p.m.

Expand your knowledge of al-Andalus — former Islamic territories in Spain and Portugal — with Abigail Krasner Balbale, an assistant professor teaching history in the Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies at NYU. She is also the author of “The Wolf King: Ibn Mardanīsh and the Construction of Power in al-Andalus,” a book that explores political power in the Iberian Peninsula during the reign of Ibn Sa’d. This discussion is a part of the “Al-Andalus” series hosted by NYU Abu Dhabi’s office in New York. This event is free and open to the public.

Learn about the history of American folk music with Taj Mahal, a Blues musician and Artist-in-Residence at NYU Steinhardt, and Leyla McCalla, an American folk musician. The pair will lead a conversation about the historical roots of folk music, titled “71 Generations: A Musical Exploration of the Griot and Pan-African Traditions.” The event is free and open to the public.

Tuesday

A talk about ancestral stories told through photography

Pless Hall, 82 Washington Square East

6 p.m.

Discover photography that captures indigenous and ancestral groups by witnessing the work of award-winning visual artist and photographer Adama Delphine Fawundu. Fawandu, whose work is displayed in museums all over the world, will speak about her career in a discussion called “Art and Ancestral Memory: A Conversation with Adama Delphine Fawundu.” She will also discuss her new exhibition, which will open in the Newark Museum of Art next month. The event is free, but an RSVP is required. A remote attendance option is also available.

Dance the night away at a Soca music dance class

Third Avenue North residence hall

6:30 p.m.

Groove to the beat of Soca music, an upbeat musical genre with African and East Indian influences, at a dance class hosted by the Caribbean Students Association. The class is the second event in the group’s “Caribbean Week” celebration, which runs Monday through Thursday. This event is free for all NYU students, and an RSVP is required to attend.

Wednesday

Play the popular basketball game NBA2K23 at a two-day gaming tournament. Those who want to play in the beginner league can attend the March 29 session and the advanced league tournament will be held the following day. Participants will have the chance to compete for prizes in the tournament. The event is free.

Get an inside look at the process of crime reporting through the lens of Tessa Kramer, a host for a podcast that explores how evidence used in criminal cases can be misleading and inaccurate. Kramer based the podcast, titled “Admissible: Shreds of Evidence,” on her investigation of 13 men in Virginia who were exonerated — an investigation she conducted during her time as a graduate student. Kramer will speak with Ellen Horne, the director of NYU’s Podcasting and Audio Reportage program, and assistant journalism professor Chenjerai Kumanyika. The event is free and open to the public, but registration is required.

Thursday

Watch new filmmakers debut their films at the 52nd edition of New Directors/New Films, an annual festival that celebrates up-and-coming filmmakers that push the envelope of cinema from around the world. This year’s docket includes 41 directors, 27 features and 11 shorts, and will take place at the Museum of Modern Art and the Film at Lincoln Center theater. Student tickets to the festival’s opening night are available for $22. Tickets for the remainder of the festival cost $13 per day.

7 p.m.

Attempt to answer questions on English, history, science and pop culture at a trivia night hosted by NYU’s Inter-Residence Hall Council. Participants can either make groups of two to five people, or the IRHC can randomly place students in one. The grand prize is a pair of AirPods, but other participants will also have the chance to win a pair of AMC movie tickets. The event is only open to students living in dorms and their guests. Advance registration is encouraged.

Friday

Noon

Join the Association of International Photography Art Dealers as it hosts its annual photography show. The show, which is now in its 42nd edition, will showcase contemporary, modern and vintage photography from galleries across the world. AIPAD will also hold a special exhibition, “Monumental Moments,” that will display large-scale photographs. Tickets for the show, which runs through April 2, are $45 for a single-day pass and $75 for a multi-day pass.

See Sarah Sze’s new solo exhibit “Timelapse” at the Guggenheim’s Frank Lloyd Wright building. Sze’s immersive exhibit is both inside and outside of the museum, and includes a variety of mediums ranging from painting, sculpture and drawing to video and building design. The exhibition is a commentary on the relationship between human beings and the passage of time. The exhibition will open on March 31 and runs until Sept. 10.

Saturday

Dazzle yourself with a musical symposium

Skirball Center for the Performing Arts

7:30 p.m.

Watch a performance of “Tao of Glass,” a production featuring 10 new songs from renowned American composer Philip Glass, at NYU Skirball. Glass is a three-time Academy Award nominee for his film scores, and has written operas, symphonies and musical theater works. Collaborator Phelim McDermott directs and performs this piece alongside an ensemble cast. VIP tickets are available for $100, and general admission tickets are available for $78.

Listen to composers and instrumentalists from NYU Steinhardt’s Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions perform live re-scores of silent films. This event is a part of the NYU Composers’ Collective, an organization that highlights the music of NYU Steinhardt composers. The event is free and open to the public.

Sunday

Listen to Mayan rap music at the Met

Metropolitan Museum of Art

11 a.m.

Visit the “Lives of the Gods” exhibition to experience a contemporary Maya rap performance by musician Pat Boy. The exhibit provides a way for viewers to better understand their artistic endeavors. Another performance will take place at noon the same day. Tickets for the event are free with museum admission.

Artexpo is a fine art fair that offers original paintings, sculptures, drawings and more for attendees to purchase. The fair will host hundreds of vendors, including galleries, artists and publishers. Opening night tickets are $50 and general admission is $30, but students can purchase tickets for $15.