Marlon Lynch to Leave NYU

The Vice President for Global Campus Safety, Marlon Lynch, will leave his position at NYU to be the Chief Safety Officer at the University of Utah.
Andy Fan
Sr. Vice President for Public Safety and Campus Services Marlon Lynch is leaving NYU for a position at the University of Utah as the first chief safety officer. (Photo by Andy Fan)

The Vice President for Global Campus Safety, Marlon Lynch, will be leaving his post at NYU, as reported by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Lynch will be taking a position as Chief Safety Officer at the University of Utah, NYU spokesperson Shonna Keogan confirmed in an email to WSN. He will begin his new position on Feb. 1, 2020. 

The statement attributed Lynch’s decision to cede his position to family reasons. 

He will be accompanying his spouse west so that she can take advantage of a new career opportunity,” the email reads. 

Lynch began his tenure at NYU during the start of the 2016 academic year, after serving as the Associate Vice President for Safety at the University of Chicago, where he had worked since 2010.

Students recognize Lynch from his NYU Safety Alert emails, which report crimes on campus along with safety tips and resources such as the NYU Office of Public Safety’s phone number. His previous duties at NYU included the oversight of emergency management, general security, transportation services and global preparedness. 

Lynch was initially selected as the head of Public Safety from a pool of candidates through an interview process involving the Faculty Senators Council, the Student Senators Council, the Deans Council and the Administrative Management Council, according to a statement released by President Andrew Hamilton in 2016.

“In Marlon Lynch, we have found the right person […] to create an environment where people feel safe, and to foster an atmosphere where community members feel fully comfortable turning to Public Safety in difficult moments,” the statement read.

The Department of Public Safety has yet to procure a replacement for Lynch but is currently searching for one, the email reads.

“Interim management put in place at the Department of Public Safety while the University conducts a search for his replacement,” Keogan said. 

In the email, Keogan lauded Lynch for his work at NYU.

“We are grateful for all that Marlon did to professionalize the Department of Public Safety and he will certainly be missed,”  Keogan said.

Email Lisa Cochran at [email protected].