Hit the Snooze and Get Breakfast Too

It isn’t hard to keep your dorm room breakfast-ready.
Talia Barton
Breakfast options for sale in Spacemarket outside Weinstein. (Photo by Talia Barton)

We’ve all been there. You’re at your morning lecture and as the professor drones on, all you can think about is your empty stomach begging for a bagel. Or worse, the classroom is pin-drop silent as you take your midterm and suddenly, your stomach becomes a velociraptor, getting revenge on you for once again skipping breakfast in favor of a few extra minutes of sleep. 

Even if you’re an early riser, there are bound to be days when you find yourself in a pinch, needing to grab something quick to eat on your commute to class or a quick bite outside your lecture hall. Ditch the Pop-Tarts and dining hall rush in favor of a healthy, simple breakfast. Yes, it’s possible.

Equipped with only a microwave, it might seem hopeless to try to concoct a quick breakfast in your dorm. But with a few simple ingredients and minimal planning, breakfast at home can be a no-brainer.

Overnight Oats

Oatmeal is one of the most microwave and budget-friendly foods. But if you find that mornings can be so rushed that popping your oats in the microwave is too much of a hassle, preparing them the night before might be the way to go. Before you go to bed, mix quick oats and your choice of milk in a 2-to-1 ratio in a container. To bulk it up and make it extra filling, add some supplementary ingredients: fruit, nut butter, protein powders, seeds, yogurt, you name it. Pop it in the fridge overnight, and in the morning, it’s all ready for you to eat before heading out the door, or if you’re lucky, during a very lenient professor’s class.

Eggs in a Mug

For those who need their morning protein fix, eggs in a mug might be the way to go. With only an egg or two and a microwave-safe mug, you’ve got yourself a nutritious breakfast. Just whisk your eggs in a lightly greased mug and feel free to toss in cheese, vegetables or a splash of milk — pretty much anything savory in your fridge will do. Eggs are the perfect blank canvas. Before stirring the ingredients together, microwave for 30-45 seconds. Remove the mug, mix it all up and microwave a second time until the eggs are set. Who said you can’t make a hot, fresh meal in seconds?

Wraps

Because a tortilla provides its own waste-free, portable container, it’s the perfect vessel for an on-the-go meal. If you’re looking for something savory, spread hummus on the tortilla before adding your choice of vegetables. Cherry tomatoes and spinach are easy because there’s no cutting required. If you have an extra second to elevate things, throw in some sliced avocado or melt cheese on the tortilla in the microwave before assembly. If you’re someone who likes to start the morning off with something sweet, fill your wrap with yogurt, fruits, nut butter, dark chocolate and/or granola.

Yogurt Parfait

Individually-packaged yogurts come with their own bowl, so there are no dishes necessary in the making of this on-the-go breakfast. Whether you’re a Chobani or Trader Joe’s brand fan, there are plenty of flavors to satisfy different tastes. Keep a stash of protein granola, hemp seeds and chia seeds to sprinkle over the yogurt before leaving your room. Adding these will provide added nutrients while also giving your bites some extra crunch. On your way outside, grab a spoon from your dorm’s dining hall and you’re fully portable and ready to go. Pro tip — stack your yogurts on top of one another in the fridge to save room and leave space for your roommate.

Even when time is not on your side, it’s still possible to have something nutritious to look forward to in the morning. Stock up your fridge and pantry, as the cold morning weather and long nights of studying descend upon us and those extra seconds under the covers are worth savoring.

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Oct. 7, 2019, print edition. Email Divya Nelakonda at [email protected].

Divya Nelakonda, Beauty & Style Editor
Divya is a Tisch sophomore majoring in Collaborative Arts. She’s a little lost — yes, in life — but, seriously, she’s directionally challenged, so if you see her, she could probably use directions. Currently in California, she misses the sights, sounds, and dogs-wearing-jackets of the NYC streets. She spends most of her days watching movie trailers instead of picking one and reading recipes that she’ll inevitably improvise in the kitchen. Follow her on Instagram @tskd, or better yet, add her on Co-Star @divya.n.