The best way to go on a pizza crawl across Manhattan

From the East Village to the Upper West Side, these classic shops are the perfect way to see the city through slices.

New York City is the mecca of American pizza with over 2,000 shops across the five boroughs. From dollar-slice counters to brick-oven pizzerias, there is a pizza place for everyone, with a whole pie guaranteed to make for the perfect bite to share with friends and family. One of my fondest memories is the pizza crawl I organized for my mom’s birthday — running around town with bellies full of cheese and grease was the greatest feeling. Whether you have a loved one in town or just want good pizza, these spots are the perfect way to see the city through slices.

Scarr’s Pizza

35 Orchard St.

The exterior of Scarr’s Pizza, with a sign that says “Scarr’s Pizza,” and two people inside.
(Matt Petres for WSN)

Scarr’s Pizza, a Lower East Side favorite, is a great place to showcase the vibrant energy of downtown Manhattan. Founded by Harlem native Scarr Pimentel in 2016, the spot was created with the goal of bringing old New York-style slices back. With an iconic exterior that is hard to miss and a retro ’80s interior housing old arcade machines, it is the ideal tourist-friendly shop to enjoy some freshly hot pizza. The atmosphere is also electric and buzzing with conversation from the minute you enter. As for the pizza, it is simple yet delicious, sure to appease even the pickiest of eaters. The dough is thin and crisp, with the tomato sauce striking a perfect balance between sweet and savory. The prices for a slice range from $3.75 to $5.75 while a whole pie costs $26 to $36.

Prince Street Pizza

27 Prince St.

The exterior of Prince Street Pizza, with a green sign that says "Prince Street Pizza" and their phone number and people sitting at tables outside the restaurant.
(Blake Salesin for WSN)

Located in the heart of Nolita, Prince Street Pizza was founded in 2012 by Frank and Dominic Morano, a father-son duo whose goal was to bring their family’s Sicilian heritage to the New York City pizza scene. The spicy sauce — a family recipe — has become a staple of the pizzeria. Expect a long line, but waiting outside you can note the eye-catching exterior with a vintage green sign, and the interior is filled with photos detailing the Moranos’ history. I highly recommend the Buzzy Broome Vodka pizza, which was pleasantly spicy and great for anyone who wants a slice with an extra kick. The pick-up counter pizza shop prices its slices at around $6 while the whole pie ranges $24 to $42.

Joe’s Pizza Broadway

1435 Broadway

The white and red exterior of Joe’s Pizza, with their phone number and a sign that says "JOE'S PIZZA" on a red awning.
(Naomi Mwai for WSN)

Joe’s Pizza Broadway, which sits on the outskirts of Times Square, brings you to the bustling center of the city for a slice. Founded in 1975 by Pino “Joe” Pozzuoli, the pizza shop has taken over Manhattan and Brooklyn, especially after its appearance in the film “Spider-Man 2” in 2004. The shop is packed with photos of famous celebrities who ate there, and it’s as classic as a New York pizza shop can get. For students looking for a spot by campus, Joe’s also has two locations in Union Square and the West Village. Be sure to order a Sicilian or Margherita slice, which is what the shop is most known for. Slices are priced at $2.75 to $4 and a whole pie is $27 to $35. 

Mama’s TOO!

2750 Broadway

The exterior of a restaurant with a sign that says “MAMA'S TOO!”
(Catherine Herber for WSN)

Farther uptown on the Upper West Side, Mama’s TOO! breaks the rules of conventional New York pizza. Founder Frank Tuttolomondo was born into a family of pizzeria owners, helping to run his grandmother’s pizza joint, Mama’s Pizza, which was founded in 1959. After learning the fundamentals of pizza making, he decided to toss traditional pizza styles aside and instead create a shop with revolutionary flavors like Poached Pear and Cacio e Pepe. With a pick-up counter outside, this is ideal for grab-and-go dining, but the place also has outdoor seating if you want to sit and enjoy your slice. I recommend the fiery but sweet Angry Nonna, which features soppressata, a thicker cut of salami, Calabrian chili oil and hot honey. The slices can get pricey at around $6 and whole pies $29.50 to $36, but worth it given how distinct the flavors are.

Contact Stutee Oke at [email protected].

Matt Petres
Matt Petres, Photo Editor
Matt Petres is a first-year studying Economics. He is from Chicago, Illinois and likes to bike and kayak. You can contact him on Instagram @matt.petres

• H

Hemant okeApr 19, 2024 at 9:05 pm

Good morning dear Stutee.
    Though am not a New Yorker I could travel or walk along with you the well worded path with you narrating the pizza story and enjoyed and relished pizza tastes and flavours; mentally, of course. Keep up the writing skills. Looking forward to more journeys.
    Hemant
    Hemant

• S

stuteeApr 21, 2024 at 12:58 pm

Hi Papa,

Thank you for your kind words

• P

Pan LesioApr 19, 2024 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Stutee for trying all the pizzas for me so I can only eat the best ones. Great article 👏

• S

StuteeApr 21, 2024 at 1:00 pm

Hi Mr.Lesio,

I’m glad you enjoyed it.