Elevate Your Instant Ramen With These Sidestein Ingredients

Don’t try this at home, unless you really have to.
An NYU student displays home-made ramen. All the items displayed were procured from Sidestein. (Staff Photo by Chelsea Li)

Let’s be honest, Sidestein Market is no Whole Foods. Its limited selection of frozen microwavable meals and bottled soda doesn’t exactly scream gourmet. But say there isn’t time to grab groceries on your way home from that pesky night class. In a pinch, is it possible to cook a proper meal from ingredients found on Sidestein’s shelves?

Though the aisles are mysteriously devoid of fresh produce, it’s feasible to put together a slightly elevated meal from Sidestein’s choices. For me, a simple ramen bowl with an amalgam of Sidestein ingredients usually hits the spot. Be warned — this is not by any means a guide to a Michelin-star meal. However, should you find yourself with some leftover dining dollars, this recipe might just be your saving grace.

Ingredients:
2 packets of Nissin Chili Ramen
2 pieces of chili garlic chicken (from the hot bar)
Broccoli, bell peppers, carrots (from the salad bar)
2 hard-boiled eggs (from the salad bar)
Sriracha sauce

Begin by making the broth. Fill a pot up two-thirds of the way with water and heat this over the stove. Once the water begins to simmer, add the chili flavor packets from the ramen packages. Stir to dissolve the flavoring and let sit.

Next, move on to the noodles. In a second pot, bring water to a boil and add the ramen noodles. Once the noodles are finished cooking, drain the water but leave the noodles in the pot to keep warm.

Steam the vegetables to your liking.

After cooking the noodles and veggies, all that’s left is the chicken. Cut the chicken into thin slices, as they originally come in large chunks from the hot bar. Next, slice the boiled eggs in half.

Finally, pour some broth into a bowl, followed by the noodles and then add the rest of the ingredients to taste. Make sure not to begin with too much broth, because it will overflow if you’re not careful. Garnish the dish with carrots and as much Sriracha as your taste buds can handle. 

Honestly, this bowl tastes better than expected. It’s certainly no Ippudo, but if you’ve got some dining dollars to burn and are pressed for time, this recipe (hopefully) won’t disappoint.

Email Yusuf Husain at [email protected].