Vegan Eats for Night Owls

From comfort food to a refined tapas menu — and it’s all vegan.
Jorene He
Mocha almond fudge mini cake and chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting in Sweets by CHLOE., a vegan bakery on Bleeker St., open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Staff Photo by Jorene He)

on practice to stop by a 24-hour diner and drown your academic sorrows in a creamy milkshake. There are plenty of late-night food destinations surrounding NYU’s Washington Square and Brooklyn campuses, but the most popular joints never seem to specialize in vegan offerings. Fret no longer, because here are six late night eateries with vegan options.

Ladybird

111 E. Seventh St.

Dine-in

Monday-Saturday 5 p.m.-1 a.m.

Sunday 2 p.m.-10 p.m.

Ladybird isn’t just a movie featuring Saoirse Ronan — it’s also a vegan and vegetarian restaurant. Referring to itself as a “Vegetable Bar,” this restaurant has an exclusively-tapas food menu with dishes that range from $5-$16 and an extensive wine and cocktail menu. Given the sharing nature of tapas, in addition to an adorable interior design complete with Christmas lights, Ladybird is the perfect place to take a group of friends or that special someone. 

Champs Diner

197 Meserole St.

Dine-in or delivery

Monday-Sunday 9 a.m.-12 a.m.

Whether you study abroad at Tandon or crossed the bridge for a Tinder meet-up, this recommendation is for anyone who finds themselves in Brooklyn late at night. Champs Diner is best known for its exclusively vegan comfort food. The diner’s retro interior design proves that even vegan foodies aren’t above trying to replicate the past. Champs is the perfect destination for vegan dieters who miss sinking their teeth into a juicy mozzarella stick.

Urban Vegan Kitchen

41 Carmine St. 

Monday-Thursday 11 a.m.-11 p.m.

Friday 11 a.m.-12 p.m.

Saturday 10 a.m.-12 a.m.

Sunday 10 a.m.-10:30 p.m.

In addition to Monday Comedy Nights, Urban Vegan Kitchen frequently plays host to events like concerts and vegan dinner party socials, all advertised on their website’s events page, making it a must-try for more reasons than the extensive vegan menu. It’s only a six-minute walk from Washington Square Park, making it the perfect escape after a long night of studying in Bobst. 

Plant Food + Wine

67 Second Ave.

Dine-in or delivery

Monday-Wednesday 5 p.m.-10 p.m.

Thursday-Friday 5 p.m.-11 p.m.

Saturday 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m., 5 p.m.-12 a.m.

Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.

Plant Food + Wine is a vegan restaurant that planted (pun intended) its first location in Venice, California before opening this location in the East Village. Even before you step inside the physical restaurant, Plant Food + Wine’s website and menu scream sophistication. While this recommendation might exceed a student budget for a casual night out, this is definitely one place to keep in mind when you’re ready to splurge. 

Bar Verde

65 Second Ave.

Dine-in

Monday-Thursday  3 p.m.-11 p.m.

Friday 3 pm.-1 a.m.

Saturday 12 p.m.-1 a.m.

Sunday 12. p.m.-11 p.m.

Bar Verde is located directly next to Plant Food + Wine, which makes sense because the two establishments share a founder — Matthew Kenney is building a vegan empire. Whereas Plant Food + Wine is focused on minimal sophistication, Bar Verde focuses on Mexican-inspired plant-based dishes. Bar Verde is also open later than Plant Food + Wine, so when you realize they don’t deliver, you might still have time to make it over.

Sweets by CHLOE.

185 Bleecker St.

Dine-in or delivery

Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-11 p.m.

Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m.-11 p.m.

by CHLOE. is a vegan chain accompanied at specific locations by an extensive vegan bakery, hence “Sweets”. There’s no shame in popping in a minute before closing to grab some CBD-infused cookies and brownies to go. Some say by CHLOE. is overhyped, but others swear the food is worth every penny. You’re going to have to make that decision for yourself.

A version of this article appears in the Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019, print edition. Email Calais Watkins at [email protected].