Cultivate your spring wardrobe with these 6 blooming trends

Shed the layers and bring this season’s clothing essentials to the city streets.

As the city thaws at the dawn of a new season, warmer weather and sunny days bring New Yorkers out of their apartment hibernation. The start of spring is the perfect opportunity to bring new looks from the runway onto the streets. Though the rising temperatures might force you to shed some layers, it does not mean you have to sacrifice your style. If you are lacking inspiration, consider incorporating these spring 2024 runway trends into your day-to-day looks.

Sheer fabrics and open knits

A person walking in Washington Square Park is wearing a brown mini skirt, black sneakers and a black open-knit sweater over a white tank top, while carrying a yellow tote bag.
(Samantha Esmé Williams for WSN)

Open knits and mesh pieces have been trending for the past few seasons, the models leaving it all out on the runway — literally. These light materials have paid their dues in our closets and under all of our coats. Spring is the perfect time to wear these pieces individually, as the versatility allows the wearer to determine how much, or how little, they prefer to reveal. While intricate undergarments and free nipples can be the perfect accessory for some, the revealing nature of sheer looks can be intimidating. Thankfully, sheer tops and open knits look great over tank tops, too.

Trenches, barn coats and lightweight outerwear

A person crossing a city street is wearing a tan trench coat, purple baseball cap, blue jeans and white sneakers.
(Samantha Esmé Williams for WSN)

When it’s 50 degrees leaving for your 8 a.m. and 70 degrees when you get out, outerwear is an essential. The search for something light and versatile that won’t ruin your outfit can seem hopeless, but for a quick fix, try a trench coat. This piece has been trending for a while now, but still, designers continue to enhance this classic, tailored silhouette. Returning this season alongside the trench are barn coats. Also referred to as field jackets, barn coats are a more casual, canvas take on the traditional trench. As an accessible closet staple, light coats like these will easily become a go-to piece in your wardrobe.

Knee-length skirts

A person walking through a garden gate into a city street is wearing a white top, green midi skirt, and black ballet flats, while carrying a small pink purse.
(Samantha Esmé Williams for WSN)

Remember those maxi skirts from last spring? This season has given them a little trim — that’s right, the midi skirt is back with vengeance. This time it does not just sit midcalf, but at the knee. Many hoped those infamous Y2K pencil skirts would never come back, but for its haters, the worst has unfortunately come true. Worn with tall boots on a cooler day or flats and funky socks to accessorize, the midi skirt can actually be the perfect piece for transitional weather. Whether they’re pleated or printed, pencil or flowy, these skirts will be an essential piece in your spring wardrobe rotation.

Pajama and undergarment inspired looks

A person in a gallery is wearing a blue-gray top, brown sandals and red boxer shorts.
(Samantha Esmé Williams for WSN)

Pajamas trending in high fashion seems too good to be true. I don’t think we’ll ever see the full bedtime look make its way onto the streets — bedhead, bunny slippers and all. However, our favorite loungewear and undergarments seem to be inspiring recent runway looks. This trend has taken on several silhouettes, from boxer shorts, bloomers and hot pants to bodysuits, bra tops and slip dresses. These effortless looks achieve comfort and style and are readily available second hand.

Vests

A person standing at the subway station is wearing a vest over a white T-shirt, blue jeans and gray headphones.
(Samantha Esmé Williams for WSN)

One-third of the three-piece suit, vests are essential to professional and formal attire, and they have always been a staple in men’s fashion. Recently, however, vests have been appearing more casually as a street-style trend. Aligning with the rise in classic, minimal fashion, the suit vest has taken on several new forms in recent seasons. One of the most innovative suit vests on the market is The Frankie Shop’s asymmetrical vest , which features buttons stretched diagonally across the chest, rather than straight down. This piece can be easily dressed up or down, and flatter any gender and body type.

Little white dress

A person sitting in Bobst reading a book is wearing glasses, a white sundress and black boots.
(Samantha Esmé Williams for WSN)

The little white dress is a springtime staple that will undoubtedly return even stronger this season. An extension of the hyperfemininity seen in the popular ballet and coquette aesthetics, this piece is a more timeless expression of classical femininity. Paired with a tall boot or your favorite pair of Mary Janes, the little white dress never fails to impress.

Contact Isabella Jambrina at [email protected].