Culture Loves: Brow Product Edition

“If eyes are the windows to the soul, then eyebrows are the frame.”
From Anastasia to Glossier, the WSN Culture Desk recommend some of their favorite eyebrow products. (Staff Illustration by Min Ji Kim)

Eyebrows are one of those features that really change your face. And unless you’re one of those uber-blessed, uber-annoying people who came out of the womb sporting full and perfectly-shaped eyebrows, a little pencil or gel can help those hairs to reach their fullest potential. If you need some help picking your poison, read on to find out what the Culture Desk uses to get those brows on fleek.

Fenty Beauty Brow MVP Ultra Fine Brow Pencil & Styler $20

Fake it ‘til you make it.

Spend enough time with me and you’ll soon figure out that one of my chief complaints about my face is its lack of brows. Okay, okay, I do have some brows, but they’re kind of shapeless and super faint. Someday, I’ll probably get them microbladed, but until then, I’ll fill them whenever I wear makeup. I’ve used everything from brow powders to brow pomades to brow pens, and I jump from product to product every few months. My current brow shaper of choice? Fenty Beauty’s new brow pencil. It’s waxier than ones I’ve tried in the past, which prevents it from going on too strong, and the tiny size allows me to make smaller, more hair-like strokes. But the real clincher is on the other end — instead of a typical spoolie, the lovely Rihanna chose to include what looks like a tiny Artis brush. The paddle brush is surprisingly adept at diffusing the pencil strokes and blending everything in so that it looks as natural as possible. — Carol

Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel $22

Brow-safe superglue.

My brows and I have been through a lot; I could talk about this topic all day long. They’ve got a good shape when maintained, but on the other hand, they’re practically gray, so I usually color them in. We can talk about all the pencils I’ve been through (Lancome, ColourPop, Anastasia Beverly Hills and finally Benefit), but my favorites have always seemed to change as newer products emerge. Yes, I am in looooove with Benefit’s Precisely My Brow Pencil, but I used to say the same exact thing about Anastasia’s Brow Wiz. However, there is one product I’ve used since starting my brow journey that I just can’t change my mind about, and this step in your brow routine often goes overlooked. Anastasia’s Clear Brow Gel is a must in my makeup bag. It lasts forever and goes on sale multiple times a year, thus justifying its slightly hefty price tag for a clear brow gel. It’s basically superglue for your eyebrows (and baby hairs on a windy day). It fans your eyebrow hairs perfectly, and they don’t budge out of place midday. Because of this gel, my eyebrows have stayed on in places they shouldn’t have been on in the first place (Think: exercising, swimming, etc.). Next time it’s on sale, do yourself a favor and buy one.  — Bella

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz $23

Subtle definition.

Does anyone recall the YouTube drama between James Charles and Tati Westbrook that happened in May? Because shamefully, I do. I truly cannot explain how it happened, but I went from someone who didn’t know a thing about the YouTube community to someone who was obsessed with every article and video posted about this drama. It was a short-lived, very strange phase of my life. The point is, James Charles introduced me to the Anastasia Brow Wiz eyebrow pencil. One afternoon, I was walking through Sephora with my mom, begging for this eyebrow pencil like a child begging for a Disney character lunch box in Target. A little bit of my dignity was forever lost that day, but honestly, it was worth it. I’m not one for heavily colored brows, and this pencil is perfect because a few strokes give my brows shape, definition and a slightly darker hue all while looking natural. While one end has a pencil, the other has a small spoolie to finish things off at the end of the process. Before Brow Wiz I didn’t understand the importance of eyebrow maintenance, but now consider me hooked. This brow pencil is the single best makeup tool I own, and while everything else I use comes from the drugstore, this brow pencil is something I will always splurge on. — Calais

Glossier Brow Flick $18

Microblading on a budget.

My eyebrows have been through hell and back, and while I’m still figuring it out, Brow Flick has helped my arches get back on track. It’s almost like a sheer liquid liner for your eyebrows, and the super-thin, flexible tip allows me to fill in the few remaining patchy spots in my brows. I love that I can taper the ends of my eyebrows, which need the most love. It almost looks like microblading, without the exorbitant cost and literal needles in your eyebrows. Brow Flick can take a lot of practice to apply properly, but the payoff is well worth the effort. — Lauren

Email the Culture Desk at [email protected].