Mediocre MILK Makeup

Despite MILK Makeup Lip + Cheek’s cult following online, it simply didn’t live up to the hype.
Min Ji Kim
“The first thought that popped into my head the moment I opened the color stick was that it looked like a giant crayon.” The writer describes her experience using the popular Milk lip and cheek stick. (Staff Illustration by Min Ji Kim)

In the world of dewy complexions and multi-use products, MILK Makeup is one of those beauty brands that everyone knows and loves. With its minimalistic packaging and exceptional ingredients, it’s no wonder I decided to try one of their most popular products: the Lip + Cheek color stick

When it comes to my makeup, I tend to stick with powdered products. This is because my skills are mediocre, and I find powdered products much easier to apply. However, I wanted to see if MILK’s Lip + Cheek color stick would change my opinion on cream products and give me that coveted inner glow these sorts of products promise to deliver. 

I was pretty excited to try the product since I had seen a lot of beauty influencers and YouTubers rave about this company. Not only do the color sticks have a 4.3 out of 5 review on Sephora, but they’re also listed under the bestsellers list on the MILK website. I had high hopes. 

Little did I know what was to come.

The first thought that popped into my head the moment I opened the color stick was that it looked like a giant crayon. This was distracting as I began reminiscing about my childhood and that jumbo 64-pack of crayons that had a sharpener in the back of the box. The moment passed and I finally got back in the zone and tested out the product. 

Unfortunately, the product was pretty difficult to apply. Physically swiping it onto my cheeks caused the product to lift my concealer and setting powder, revealing blotches of my skin underneath and making it a struggle to blend. The product exposed a few scars from when I had hormonal acne, making me even less convinced that this would be my new go-to. I looked up many application videos to see if I was doing it correctly, but the videos demonstrated what I was already doing.

I did not want to give up, so I tried other methods to apply the product. I used a makeup sponge and a brush to apply the creamy concoction, but the product was either not as pigmented or left the same blotchy effect on my skin. Don’t get me wrong, the finish was just as dewy as I expected it to be and lasted throughout my classes. However, the product’s description indicates that you can get the finish in one easy, blendable application — but I experienced the complete opposite. 

MILK is known for its multi-use products, so I obviously had to test out the product on my lips as well. The color was similar to my natural lip color, which I personally tend to look for when it comes to lip products. Although it was not as moisturizing as it claimed, I would still consider using it from time to time. 

The MILK Lip + Cheek color stick is great for those who don’t wear concealer or foundation. But for those of us who want more than a tinted moisturizer, you may have trouble applying the product in a seamless fashion. I would definitely try the product again once my scars have faded, but in the meantime, I’ll stick with my go-to Hourglass powder blush and a handy dandy chapstick.

Email Madison San Miguel at [email protected].

Min Ji Kim, Video Editor
Min Ji Kim is a sophomore at Steinhardt majoring in Media, Culture, and Communications. She likes to express her creativity through art, video editing, filming, photography, music, etc. Hailing from Silicon Valley, she misses calculus and physics sometimes.