NYU Trend Report: Back to School Edition

What are the most fashionable students in the most fashionable city in the U.S. wearing?
Mandie Montes
Leopard print midi-skirt styled with a leopard print sweater on display at Madewell. (Photo by Mandie Montes)

What is Welcome Week if not an opportunity for NYU students to show off their stellar summer outfits? Here are a few of the trends you’ll be sure to see strutting down University Place.

Fjällräven Kånken Backpacks
Channel your inner VSCO girl.

If your deepest, wildest desire is to blend seamlessly into the crowds of NYU students roaming the Greenwich Village streets, simply jump onto the years-long backpack trend that refuses to die. The multifarious color selection allows for a certain level of self-expression — although the same exact style will probably make an appearance on the backs of three other students in your 8 a.m. lecture.

Leopard Print Midi Skirts
The new little black dress.

Eye-catching, chic, but now hardly unique, these glorious garments have monopolized the women’s clothing market from the waist down. And for good reason — you can slip these on with any top of your choice, from a classic white button-down to that itchy multi-colored sweater your grandma knit you last winter. Wildly basic.

Silk Scarves
On your bag, in your hair, around your waist, everywhere.

Silk scarves are the unsung heroines of accessories. Yes, they can be a pop of color in an otherwise boring ensemble or add a unique twist to a bag everybody has, but a silk scarf can be just as utilitarian as it is decorative. Don’t own a belt? Silk scarf around your waist. Hair sad and limp because you didn’t get to wash it last night? Silk scarf around your ponytail. Hiding a hickey and running late to meet your parents for dinner? Silk scarf around your neck. See? Stylish, sleek and solved.

A version of this article appears in the Sunday, Aug. 25, 2019, print edition. Email Carol Lee at [email protected].