Is Poosh the New Goop?

Students don’t have high hopes for the new lifestyle website created by Kourtney Kardashian.
Poosh is a new beauty, lifestyle and e-commerce website launched by Kourtney Kardashian on April 2. (via Instagram)

It’s difficult to deny the Kardashian hustle. There are more family businesses than family members, and Kourtney Kardashian recently unveiled yet another entrepreneurial venture: Poosh.

Poosh’s website says its mission is to “educate, motivate, create, and curate a modern lifestyle achievable by all.”

So far, Poosh has kept its promise to be a typical lifestyle website, publishing articles like “All-Natural Teeth and Mouth Products for a Healthier Smile” and “Everything You Need to Know About Organizing Your Pantry.” Of course, there’s also a page seamlessly integrated into the website ready with the latest scoop on what Kourtney and her family have been up to lately.

The internet reacted in a variety of ways, and most were surprised or confused by the launch. Stern senior Henry Chavez was amused by the fanfare.

“I mean, why are we surprised?” Chavez said. “It’s about time. What has taken them so long?”

Most Kardashian launches are riddled with — or at least, touched by — controversy, and Poosh has been no exception. Like many Twitter and Instagram users, Stern sophomore Joy Yang quickly noticed the site’s resemblance to another celebrity’s infamous website in both name and concept.

“Poosh kind of looks like a rip-off of Goop,” Yang said. Goop is a company owned by actress Gwyneth Paltrow and runs a website that, according to its about page, “has always been a place for GP to introduce some of the incredible experts who have mentored her throughout her life, and a place where readers can find suggestions about where to shop, eat, and stay from a trusted friend.“

The similarities between the two are undeniable, and they extend beyond the shared “oo.” However hard you try, you can’t really brush off the similarities between the minimalistic website designs. Both seek to be inspirational, instructing people on how to treat their bodies and how to live their lives. Both rely heavily on pushing products to readers, whether directly on the website or through affiliate links. Both sell lifestyles neatly packaged in pithy mission statements and innumerable products.

But with the laundry list of controversies that Goop has encountered during its existence, such as those over its unfounded recommendations of vagina steams and of inserting jade eggs into vaginas for stronger kidneys, it’s no surprise that most students are hesitant to wholeheartedly support these types of websites. CAS senior Sabrina Bitar said her incredulity stems from her distrust of the celebrities who start them.

“I don’t think it’s particularly trustworthy, just because of the people who back it,” Bitar said. “I don’t trust everything they have to say about themselves. But then again, if people want to buy their products, it’s up to them.”

On the other hand, though Steinhardt sophomore Les-lie Lopez hasn’t had a chance to check out Poosh yet, she admitted that she was intrigued. As someone familiar with Goop’s content, she is curious to see what Kardashian has to say about health, wellness and lifestyle.

“I think this trend is kind of interesting, especially because it has been debunked a few times,” Lopez said. “With a Kardashian, I’m just curious to see their own spin on it.”

Steinhardt first-year Mozna Al Sulayman didn’t have any particularly strong feelings about such lifestyle sits.

“It is for someone, not for everyone,” she said. “But I’m sure some people find use from it and can learn from it.”

While Poosh, like Goop, asks its readers to think of it as a good friend on its website, most NYU students seem to think of it as an acquaintance at best, at least for now. It’s too early to tell how Poosh will fare in the long run, but if it’s anything like other Kardashian ventures, it might just profit off controversy.

Email Valerie Stepanova at [email protected].