Fall in Love With These Long Weekend Activities

Some of New York’s best seasonal offerings fall right on our long weekend.
Talia Barton
New Yorkers enjoy a sunny day in Washington Square Park. (Photo by Talia Barton)

With midterms starting to kick into gear, the impending long weekend is a chance for a much-needed break from the hectic rush of classes. For those of us too far away to go home over fall break, or who simply prefer to stay and enjoy the city, here are some seasonal activities to take advantage of in between Netflix binges.

The New York Coffee Festival

Metropolitan Pavilion

125 W 18th St., Flatiron District

Oct. 11-13, 

$30 (group discounts available)

Coffee snobs, rejoice! The New York Coffee Festival is coming to Chelsea this weekend, with vendors like Australian-inspired Bluestone Lane, beloved milk alternative Oatly and plant-based cafe The Butcher’s Daughter. Sample delicious cold brews, watch live latte art and get extra buzzed on coffee cocktails at this caffeine-fueled festival.

Queens Annual Harvest Fest

43-50 Main St., Flushing

Oct. 13, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

$15

As it turns out, you don’t need to leave New York City to go pumpkin picking! Whip out those MetroCards and head to the outer boroughs for the ultimate autumn experience. You can jam out to live music, savor seasonal treats, pick pumpkins and, most importantly, take plenty of Insta-worthy photos in your best fall fits. 

Nature Walk in Central Park

This weekend, ideally during golden hour.

Dress up in your coziest sweaters and break out those leather boots to admire the changing leaves in Manhattan’s vastest green space. Take out a rowboat, frolic in botanical gardens, pet all the dogs you can find and enjoy the plentiful photo ops. Bonus points for bringing along some hot apple cider and pumpkin spice sweets.

Rockefeller Center Ice Rink Opening

600 Fifth Ave., Midtown

Oct. 12-14, 8:30 a.m. to midnight

The ice rink at the famous Rockefeller Center opens for the season this Saturday! Brave the crowds of Midtown and hit the rink while the cold weather is still at bay. Make it a date night where you can adorably struggle not to fall or bring along a group of friends to kick off what is arguably New York City’s best season. 

Eat an Apple Cider Donut

Bakeries all over the city

When you’re feeling fall AF

A rush of cinnamon sugar coats your tongue, followed by the cakey, apple-flavored bite of donut that melts in your mouth. For a moment, you close your eyes, envisioning a montage of autumn leaves, crisp air, cozy movie nights and Halloween memories. Bakeries like Doughnuttery, Jack’s Stir Brew Coffee and Carpe Donut have some especially delicious apple cider donuts. Ah, the sweet taste of fall. 

A version of this text appears in the Monday, Oct. 7, 2019 print edition. Email Lauren Gruber at [email protected].