We Hunted the Easter Egg-vents for You

Easter in NYC. A religious holiday? A family holiday? A reason to party? All of the above.
Katie Peurrung
People enjoying the weather in Washington Square Park. While not stereotypically productive, it can be beneficial for the body and mind to go for a walk. (Photo by Katie Peurrung)

Whatever your beliefs, we and the Easter Bunny have you covered this weekend. The holiday falls on April 21 this year, and students only have the day to celebrate before school on Monday. Fear not — there are still ways to make Easter festive. While some people may choose to go home to be with family for the holiday, others, including those who don’t usually celebrate Easter, can use this guide to set plans.

Easter Egg Hunts

This is a no-brainer. People have long associated the holiday with eggs because an egg is a symbol for new life during spring at traditional pagan festivals. Despite its religious context, many people take part in egg hunts for the excitement and adventure. The game usually works one of two ways: teams or individuals who find the most eggs win a prize, or they find their prize inside an artificial egg during the hunt. There are several hunts happening this year around the city. A free hunt will be taking place in J. Hood Wright Park on April 19 from 3:30 to 6 p.m. It includes other activities such as egg-on-a-spoon and sack races. If you’re looking for an alternative to Saturday brunch, the adult easter egg hunt in Central Park is a great option. Plus, it has alcohol.

Hillsong Easter Services

This is a religious option for those who usually spend Easter in church with their families but won’t be able to do so this year. Hillsong NYC takes place in Hammerstein Ballroom and has seven services from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. There will also be services on Good Friday at 4 p.m., 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Easter Weekend Rooftop Shutdown

If egg hunts and church services aren’t the turn up you’re looking for, use Easter as an excuse to party. Rooftop 13 will be hosting an Easter Party on April 21 from 3 to 11 p.m. Use Eventbrite to RSVP for free entry to reggae, afrobeats, soca and hip-hop sounds from DJs Young Chow and Bless Da Child from Hot 97.

There are many more events to hop to in the city, but these three should be a good place to start. Happy Easter!

Email Lenique Vincent at [email protected].