Pubs and Pots of Gold: St. Patrick’s Day Fun

There’s more to St. Patrick’s Day than beer — but of course, there’s beer too.
Julia McNeill
New Yorkers gear up for Saint Patrick’s Day at one of the many Irish bars in the city. (Staff Photo by Julia McNeill)

Growing up, St. Patrick’s Day meant shamrocks and pots of gold at the end of every rainbow. We would don green or face the pinching fingers of schoolmates. Now older and hopefully wiser, we understand that it is a day to honor the death of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. In addition to this knowledge, we can level up from leprechauns and take part in the adult version of this holiday in New York City, where there are festivities, special events, music and — of course — gallons and gallons of Guinness. Here are some fun things you can do this St. Patty’s Day, which falls on Sunday. 

11th St. Bar $$
510 E. 11th St.
A quick walk to the East Village and you might stumble into 11th St. Bar, where St. Patrick’s Day events are scheduled from morning till the next dawn. The bar will have everything from sports to Irish tunes. Doors open at 9 a.m., kicking off the holiday with the Liverpool vs. Burnley soccer game. Following the game, the bar is hosting an Irish rock tribute band, featuring famous hits for three hours. Not familiar with Irish rock? Don’t worry, you can jam out to all of the U2 songs. However, the music doesn’t stop there. Starting at 10 p.m., there will be a “Traditional Irish Seisiún,” which is a musical jam session full of traditional Irish music.

Shades of Green Pub $$
125 E. 15th St.
Looking for a low-key celebration? You can chill, drink and eat with your friends at Shades of Green Pub, known for its Irish drinks and cuisine. The food menu has a “Traditional Irish Pub Fare” section, with identifiable classics such as bangers and mash. The pub also serves Guinness, a dry stout beer native to Ireland and people’s go-to brew for St. Patty’s Day. Luckily, 15th Street isn’t too far away from campus, so an Uber home shouldn’t be too expensive. Or if you think you can manage and aren’t too langered, stumbling won’t be too taxing. 

9th Annual Irish Arts Center Book Day Free
Locations Vary
While there are many places to wild out on St. Patrick’s Day, you can also feed your inner intellectual at the Irish Arts Center. On March 15, the Irish Arts Center is setting up 11 pop-up stands of books at locations around the five boroughs. Starting at 8 a.m., you can visit any of these stands and pick up a book written by an Irish or Irish American author for free. Closest to NYU’s campus will be the pop-up stand at the Canal Street subway stop. 

Going Green Art Run
$25 for a First-Time Art
Runner
121 Ludlow St.
For those that find fitness more fun than racking, there is a St. Patrick’s weekend 5K run on March 16. The path takes runners by some of the most famous murals around Manhattan. “Plogging,” the organization’s word for picking up trash while jogging, is highly encouraged. Also, for every runner who signs up, Tree-Nation plants a tree. Get in the green spirit while donning the traditional color of St. Patrick’s Day. 

Whether your jam is working out, listening to music, reading a good book or knocking back a pint, there is something in the city for everyone this upcoming St. Patty’s Day. 

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Mar. 11, 2019, print edition.

Email Calais Watkins at [email protected].