Coming to Broadway in Fall 2019

A rundown of Broadway and Off-Broadway shows opening this fall.
A theatrical rendition of Byrne’s world tour of the same name, the performance features Byrne and 11 other artists from a host of countries. (Via Playbill)

Summer has finally come to a close, and that means it’s time for sweaters, pumpkins and Broadway previews. This fall, there are dozens of new shows coming to Broadway and off-Broadway stages near you. Comedies, tragedies, musicals, dramas — you name it. 

Not only is NYU conveniently located close to many theaters, students also have access to discounted tickets. As the weather gets colder, seeing a play can be the perfect opportunity to bundle up and relax for a little bit. Here are all the shows coming to theaters near you this fall.

Broadway

The Inheritance
Location: The Ethel Barrymore Theater
Preview: Sept. 27

“The Inheritance” was a West End success and winner of four Olivier Awards, including Best New Play. Based on E. M. Forster’s “Howards End,” this is a two-part play that tells the story of three generations of gay men. “The Inheritance” emphasizes the connection between them through humor and heartbreak alike. 

David Byrne’s American Utopia
Location: Hudson Theater
Preview: Oct. 4

“David Byrne’s American Utopia” is a once-in-a-lifetime performance to view, having sold out in theaters all around the world. A theatrical rendition of Byrne’s world tour of the same name, the performance features Byrne and 11 other artists from a host of countries.

Tina
Location: Lunt-Fontanne Theater
Preview: Oct. 12

“Tina” is a musical biography of Tina Turner,  often referred to as the Queen of Rock and Roll. The show follows Tina from her humble beginnings through her successful career. 

Jagged Little Pill 
Location: The Broadhurst Theater
Preview: Nov. 3

“Jagged Little Pill” was inspired by Alanis Morissette’s Grammy-winning album of the same name. The rock musical follows the Healys, an outwardly perfect family dealing with private demons and life-altering circumstances. 

A Christmas Carol
Location: Lyceum Theater
Preview: Nov. 7

Charles Dickens’ classic story is brought to life in this immersive performance. “A Christmas Carol” offers a new take on the timeless tale for theater-goers of all ages. 

Kristin Chenoweth: For the Girls 
Location: The Nederlander Theater
Preview: Nov. 8

In this show, Kristin Chenoweth turns her new album “For the Girls” into a Broadway performance. Chenoweth dedicated this album to female artists who influenced her career, and she incorporates many of their songs into the show. 

Slava’s Snowshow
Location: Stephen Sondheim Theater
Preview: Nov. 11

Since its October 1993 premiere in Moscow, performance artist and clown Slava Polunin’s theatrical experience has become a timeless and universally beloved work. Truly in a genre of its own, “Slava’s Snowshow” promises to awaken everyone’s inner child. 

The Illusionists- Magic of the Holidays 
Location: Neil Simon Theater
Preview: Nov. 29

The internationally renowned magic troupe brings together a new, all-star cast of the world’s top illusionists for what The New York Times called  “a high-tech magic extravaganza.” 

Off-Broadway

Heroes of the Fourth Turning
Location: Playwrights Horizon, Mainstage Theater
Preview: Sept. 13
Opening: Oct. 7

This will be the world premiere of Will Arbery’s play examining the psyches of four young conservatives reuniting at their small Catholic college in Wyoming. “Heroes of the Fourth Turning” sheds light on the contemporary political landscape and the human desire to be understood. 

Scotland, PA
Location: Laura Pels Theater
Preview: Sept. 14
Opening: Oct. 23

This production will be the world premiere of Adam Gwon’s dark comedy. Literature, cult fiction and Broadway collide in this play based on the 2001 film that draws inspiration from Shakespeare’s Macbeth. 

Little Shop of Horrors
Location: Westside Theater Upstairs
Preview: Sept. 17
Opening: Oct. 17

Seymour and Audrey work at a little plant shop, and their lives are turned upside down by a man-eating plant that’s threatening the entire world. “Little Shop of Horrors” merges Roger Corman’s film with a book by Howard Ashman, and it follows Seymour, Audrey, Audrey’s boyfriend and the man-eating plant. 

The New Englanders
Location: The Studio at Stage II
Preview: Sept. 17
Opening: Oct. 2

In Jeff Augustin’s latest play, Eisa and her two dads live in a small town in New England but desire more fulfilling lives. Each member of the mixed-race family in “The New Englanders” is navigating life and trying to pursue a unique path.

Forbidden Broadway: The Next Generation
Location: The Triad Theater
Preview: Sept. 28
Opening: Oct. 16

Five years after its last run in 2014, “Forbidden Broadway” comes back to the stage in a comical mashup of well-known Broadway shows performed by this generation’s Broadway stars. 

The Wrong Man
Location: Robert W. Wilson MMC Theater Space/Newman Mills Theater
Opening: Oct. 7

Duran is “The Wrong Man.” This musical performance sees him falsely accused of murder because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

For more information on upcoming shows and ticket sales, visit http://www.playbill.com

Email Dani Herrera at [email protected]