Double Exposure

An artistic expression in analog, double-exposure portraiture.
Double+Exposure

The Kuleshov Effect has taught us that juxtaposition is one of the most effective tools any storyteller can have in their arsenal. This manipulation of the mind’s involuntary processes can — of course — stand alone with succession, but it takes an entirely new form when overlapped within a single frame. While there are many ways to digitally converse two images, I believe there is nothing more powerful than that of the double exposure of film. This procedure not only imbues each point of intersection with an unmistakable energy, but it instills them with an entirely new sense of shape and form as well. There is a method in which the chemicals interact with lapsed light that manages to capture both the physical and the emotional into one, coherent piece. I like to think of it as a dynamic hodgepodge, with the outcome being undeniably captivating imagery. Like all chemical reactions, through artistic exploration, I am trying to deduce if this medium has a universal formula, too.

These images were taken in Los Angeles on a Pentax k1000 and a Canon AE-1 Program, both loaded with Kodak Gold 200, during mid-afternoon.

Email Nico Gordon at [email protected].