The exterior of the Morton Williams Supermarket, with a prominent red lettering that reads Morton Williams at the top of the building and the phrase The Fresh Marketplace beneath it.
How a supermarket became the center of NYU’s relationship with the Village
Carmo Moniz, Managing Editor • Jan 31, 2024

NYU Student Takes Own Life in Residence Hall

Alana Beyer
The facade of Rubin Residence Hall. (Photo by Alana Beyer)

A student died in an apparent suicide late Saturday night, according to the university.

The 18-year-old student was found early Sunday morning in university housing on 5th Avenue between 10th and 11th streets, according to the New York Post. A university spokesperson told WSN that authorities are in the process of notifying the family and the university has offered services and support to the student’s roommates.

Senior Vice President of Student Affairs Marc Wais sent out an email on Sunday afternoon to all students informing them of the loss and notifying them of resources available to them.

“If news of this death makes any student feel concerned or worried or upset, he or she should not hesitate to reach out to the Wellness Exchange,” the email reads. “And if you know of a friend or a classmate who you think may need help because of this news, you should reach out to the Wellness Exchange, too. We can help.”

Students can reach out to the Wellness Exchange at 212-443-9999 or [email protected]. NYU has 24/7 counseling services that can be accessed over-the-phone or through an app available to all students. Students can also see a counselor in person on the third floor of 726 Broadway during drop-in hours.

“This is a heartbreaking loss, as is the death of any person so young,” NYU Spokesperson John Beckman wrote in a statement to WSN. “It is not uncommon for an event like this to leave other students feeling confused, concerned or worried.”

If you or someone you know is experiencing thoughts of suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or the Suicide Crisis Line at 1-800-783-2433.

Students can also contact the Wellness Exchange at 212-443-9999.

Email Victor Porcelli at [email protected].

Victor Porcelli, News Editor
Victor Porcelli is a junior studying Public Policy. He's from Central Jersey, the existence of which he will vehemently defend. Outside of journalism, he likes romcoms and ... he can't think of anything else. He aspires to becoming verified on twitter so follow him @victor_porcelli.
Alana Beyer, Deputy Video Editor