Sexual Misconduct Support Group Created for Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming and Non-Binary Students

The group aims to ensure all students are aware of their rights and resources.
Anna Letson
An NYU building. (Photo by Anna Letson)

NYU is adding an additional student support group to campus for transgender, gender non-conforming and non-binary students. The group aims to create a safe space that ensures all students are made aware of their rights and resources, as originally reported by NYU Local. Director of Sexual Misconduct Support Services Christine Janick will lead the effort.

“Any student who is a survivor and feels this group will meet their needs is eligible,” Janick said.

Counseling and Wellness Services offers a variety of confidential support services to students who have experienced sexual misconduct.

“The goal of this group is to help students feel validated, empowered — not isolated — and heard as a survivor, just as all of the other gender-specific survivor groups,” Janick said.

Janick partners with the Title IX staff to present the Consent Zone workshop on campus each semester. She also runs three separate female survivor groups.

The group does not yet have a name but is looking to launch as soon as possible once enough students join it.

“My groups do not have very creative names,” Janick said. “Rather, I try to make their purpose transparent in the title so that students interested can easily understand the groups available to them.”

Resources for Students:

The NYU Wellness Exchange has a confidential, free, 24/7 counseling line for NYU students in need of help. Should you be struggling with anything, do not hesitate to call (212)-443-9999.

If the incident is an emergency, contacting the Wellness Exchange hotline can connect a student with a Crisis Response Counselor who will help the student determine the best response in the moment (medical services, mental health services, academic or housing accommodations, law enforcement, etc).

Students can also access short-term counseling and long-term medication services at CWS with clinicians that have expertise in responding to issues of trauma and can help students as well as determine their needs and plan to work toward trauma recovery.

Email Jared Peraglia at [email protected].