Swimming and Diving Make Waves at UAA Championships

Here’s your sports weekly update for Feb. 10 to 17.
Sam Klein
NYU Swimmers during a meet on Oct. 6. First-year swimmer Graham Chatoor set conference and NYU records to earn national berths in the 1650-yard and 500-yard freestyle. (Photo by Sam Klein)

Men’s Basketball
The men’s basketball team fell to UAA rival Carnegie Mellon on Feb. 10 after relinquishing a 10-point lead in the first half and failing to fight back, losing 70-66. CAS junior Dom Cristiano led NYU with 23 points and eight rebounds.

On Feb. 15, the Violets lost to UAA rival Washington University in St. Louis, losing 73-54. CAS sophomore Bobby Hawkinson lead NYU with 17 points and eight rebounds.

In the final game of their week, the men were defeated by UAA rival University of Chicago, 76-66. SPS junior Jimmy Martinelli led the team with 14 points.

The Violets have now dropped to an overall record of 7-17 and 1-12 in conference play.

The men look to bounce back against another UAA opponent, Brandeis University, on Feb. 23.

Women’s Basketball
The women took care of business at home on Feb. 10 against UAA rival Carnegie Mellon University, winning 61-52. CAS sophomore Lauren Koyama led NYU with a career-high 26 points off the bench. NYU controlled the game, leading by as many as 11 points and never trailing in the second half.

The momentum failed to carry on to the next game, as the women fell to UAA rival Washington University in St. Louis 71-58. Steinhardt sophomore Janean Cuffee led the team with 19 points while playing all 40 minutes.

NYU was handed another conference loss at the hands of the University of Chicago two days later on Feb. 17 by the score of 68-48. NYU found themselves outmatched again by another ranked opponent as UChicago is currently ranked 20th in the Division III WBCA poll. After giving up a 22-point lead in the first half, the Violets could not recover. Cuffee again led the way with 13 points.

The women return to the court on Feb. 23 against UAA rival Brandeis University.

Fencing
The men’s and women’s fencing competed in their final dual meets of the season, both winning two of three matches at the Columbia University-hosted meet. Both teams ended up defeating Sacred Heart University and Vassar College, but losing to host Columbia University.

Against Columbia, the men won the saber competition behind Stern senior Mikolaj Bak’s 3-0 record but came up short in the foil and epee competitions. The women were edged in all three competitions.

The men won in all three weapons against Sacred Heart and Vassar, with Gallatin sophomore Zachary (Milo) Schindler posting a perfect 6-0 against both opponents. The women defeated Sacred Heart and Vassar behind GLS first-year Allison Dunlap’s perfect 6-0 record against both opponents.

With the dual season over, the Violets will compete at the NCAA Regional Championship on Mar. 10.

Men’s Volleyball
The men lost their only game this week against the second-ranked team in the nation, Stevens Institute of Technology, in four sets. This snapped NYU’s four-game winning streak.

The match was close from the get-go, with Stevens taking the first set 25-19 and NYU rebounding back to take the second set 25-16. The next two sets both went into overtime, with Stevens edging out NYU in both sets and claiming the victory. CAS junior Evan Lindley led the Violets with 16 kills and CAS junior Matin Bikdeli, the United Volleyball Conference’s reigning Player of the Week, finished with 49 assists.

The men will hit the court again on Feb. 20 against Rutgers University.

Swimming and Diving
The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams competed in the UAA Championships on Feb. 13 to 16. The men finished with 1,121 total points for a fifth place finish out of eight teams and the women finished with 1370.5 points for a third-place finish.

Highlights for the men during the three-day meet mostly came from CAS first-year Graham Chatoor, who took first in the 500-yard freestyle and first in the 1,650-yard freestyle with an NYU and UAA record time of 15:25.13. Chatoor was named UAA Rookie of the Year for his impressive performances. Stern sophomore Elan Oumarov took second in the 100-yard butterfly while both CAS first-year Justin Lum and Stern first-year Jacob Haines took second and third, respectively in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Highlights for the women came from All-American and Stern junior Honore Collins, who took first in the 200-yard IM with an NYU and UAA record of 2:00.91, third in the 400-yard IM with an NYU record time and first in the 200-yard butterfly with an NYU record time. The Violets took second through fourth in the 500-yard freestyle, led by CAS first-year Rachel Reistroffer. Reistroffer also led the pack of NYU swimmers who finished second through seventh in the 1,650-yard freestyle. In both the 200- and 400-yard medley relays, NYU placed second. CAS sophomore Sydney Catron took third in the 200-yard backstroke.

Both teams will take the pool for the final time this season at the NYU Last Chance Meet on Feb. 23.

Track and Field
Both the men’s and women’s teams competed at the Princeton Invitational on Feb. 16. There was no team scoring.

The men had many impressive performances. Tisch junior Benjamin Heintz took first in the mile, three NYU runners finished in the top seven in the 800m, NYU took second in the 4x800m relay race and CAS junior Carter Beardsley took third in the weight throw.

The women also had many great showings. All-American and CAS junior Evelyn Nkanga took third in the triple jump while posting a season-best mark, only trailing two Division I athletes. The Violets had great runs in the 800m as well, with four runners finishing in the top 10.

Both teams return to action for the UAA Championships on Feb. 23 and 24.

Wrestling
A contingent of wrestlers represented NYU at the Northeast/Mideast Futures Tournament on Feb. 17. There was no team scoring.

The highlights for NYU were CAS first-year Liam Drury (157 pounds) and SPS first-year Kade Stecker-Loughney (165 pounds), who both won their respective weight classes in four matches. Drury was named the Tournament’s Most Outstanding Wrestler for his performance.

The Violets return to the mat when they compete at the NCAA Northeast Regional on Feb. 23 and 24.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019, print edition. Email Zach Han at [email protected].

Zach Han, Sports Editor
Sam Klein, Managing Editor
Sam Klein is a junior majoring in journalism and environmental science. He is interested in sustainable, large-scale farming and fishing as well as global economic development in the agricultural sector; he also supports eating insects. Outside of WSN he runs on NYU's cross-country and track teams. During his free time he enjoys photography, traveling, coffee and being outdoors. You can check out his work at samklein.myportfolio.com or on instagram @samkleinphotography.