Taoray Wang F/W 2019

Designer Wang Tao celebrated female power with her reinventions of the classic power suit in Taoray’s Fall/Winter 2019 collection, “Eternity.” The suits’ feminine silhouettes of the suits were balanced by the defined and rigid cuts and shoulders reminiscent of the ’80s. Edgy belts accentuated the highly architectural form by defining the waistline while bold yellows and mustards brought life to the otherwise dark-colored collection. Rocking red lips and glowy skin, the models sashayed down the runway on pointy-toed booties to the rhythm of Nico Vega’s “What do you want?” and Charlotte Adigéry’s “Paténipat.”

Wang Tao was inspired by women who redefined the standards of beauty and age boundaries that defied the standards of beauty standards. One of her muses was ’70s model Lauren Hutton.

“I was really inspired by her style. Not just her fashion style, I was inspired by her attitude,” Tao said. “Because it is the ’70s and she is so brave and she is so confident and you know stories about Lauren Hutton […] her attitude not just toward fashion, the beauty, life and you know.”

Her other muse was Tiffany Trump, whom she had dressed for the Presidential Inauguration. Trump and her boyfriend, Michael Boulos, graced the front row along with Conor Kennedy and influencer Danielle Bernstein.  

Designed for strong and fierce women, Eternity’s take on the power suit reflects Wang’s unique definition of power itself.

“Before when we say power what we imagine is control is fighting is winning, but I think when I mention power especially when the handsome suit, add up sexy, feminine, happiness,” she said. “Female power is happiness is giving is sharing. That actually is the power.”

Read more of WSN’s New York Fashion Week coverage here. Email Elif Kesikbas at [email protected].