Fashion Hong Kong F/W 2019

On an unusually sunny winter day in Chelsea, hundreds of viewers flocked indoors to see three talented Hong Kong designers with three distinct styles own the runway at Industria NYC. As the lights inside the concrete-floored building began to dim, the crowd immediately quieted, anxiously awaiting the first runway segment.

112 Mountainyam kicked off the show with bright pop music and a bold primary-colored camouflage-printed coat, which contrasted beautifully with the grey plaid suit underneath. The collection focused mainly on bold, cool-toned colors, but the looks were also accented by pops of fire-engine red and classic fabrics like khaki. The most eye-catching piece was a yellow beaded and fringed dress worn over a colorful sweater. Menswear-inspired cuts made these bright and bold outfits appear both chic and wearable. The brand’s collection was able to bring their colorful creative vision down to earth with impeccable tailoring and flattering cuts.

A sultry cover of “Seven Nation Army played as the first Anveglosa model began her walk, donning a black short-sleeve button-down coat over a black tulle skirt. The first few looks were all black, full of leather and flowy skirts. The color then transitioned into white, and then hunter green, all while maintaining the theme of sexy yet work-appropriate. A pine green leather dress with peplum and a cinched waist stood out with its marriage of sex appeal and class. The collection was simple without being boring and contained many versatile and timeless pieces.

Heaven Please + was the final designer in the show, and certainly the most inventive. Known for their colorful patterns and quirky architectural designs, this runway collection did not disappoint. One of the most fascinating looks consisted of an oversized navy and gold ruffled leopard coat, a neon green skirt and fuschia leather gloves. Makeup was minimal, to allow the clothing to stand for itself. While certainly creative, the overall effect of the collection was dizzying with too many clashing patterns and ill-tailored pieces. Overall, the line was more confusing than avant-garde.  

Each Hong Kong designer’s unique styles came together to bring about a beautiful and eclectic show that catered to a variety of personal styles.

Read more of WSN’s New York Fashion Week coverage here. Email Lauren Gruber at [email protected].