A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events this Weekend: Nov. 30 to Dec. 2

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.
Poster for the third annual Chanukahstravaganza: ‘Twas the Night Before Chanukah.’ The event will take place at Union Hall this Saturday. (via unionhallny.com)

Temperatures are dropping and the New York City streets are getting less welcoming by the minute, but that doesn’t mean you should let the weekend pass you by. Whether you take it as an opportunity to get in the spirit for the holidays, or just enjoy some creativity before heading home, winter in New York offers plenty of affordable arts events for those daring enough to brave the weather.

Kathy Acker: The Last Interview and Other Conversations at Bluestockings, Nov. 30 (free)

Join editors Amy Scholder and Douglas A. Martin for the New York launch of this new collection of interviews with the late writer and counterculture icon. Head over to Bluestockings, the “radical bookstore, fair trade cafe, and activist center” on the Lower East Side at 7 p.m. — A.C.

The Nutcracker at Brookfield Place, Nov. 30 to Dec. 2 (free)

I was raised Jewish, but seeing The Nutcracker in New York City is still one of my favorite childhood holiday memories. This weekend, Brookfield Place is putting on free one-hour showings of the Nutcracker on Friday and Saturday from 7 to 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 2 p.m. Shows are first-come-first-serve, so get there early for your chance to release your inner little kid. — A.Z.

“Living With…” at Steinhardt Black Box Theatre, Nov. 30 to Dec. 2 ($15, $5 for students and seniors)

Steinhardt Educational Theatre presents the premiere of Prof. Joe Salvatore’s experimental theatre project, bringing together HIV-positive people to create and perform a play about their experiences. — A.C.

Stonewall is Not Here Yet at The New Museum, Dec. 1 (included with museum admission, $18 general, free with NYU ID)

In observance of the annual Day Without Art, a national day of action in response to the AIDS crisis, organizers Sharon Hayes and Chris E. Vargas present an afternoon of readings by artists, lawyers, poets and activists of texts that reflect on queer liberation and futurity at 3 p.m. — A.C.

Target First Saturday: Best of the Borough at the Brooklyn Museum, Dec. 1 (Free)

This Saturday, the Brooklyn Museum is hosting the Best of the Borough edition of their Target First Saturday, its annual showcase of local talent from across the borough. Programming begins at 5 p.m. and will feature live music, poetry, film and a hands-on art experience. — A.Z.

The Third Annual Chanukahstravaganza: ‘Twas the Night Before Chanukah at Union Hall, Dec. 1 ($8 in advance, $10 at the door)

Lana Schwartz and Ilana Michelle Rubin host this showcase of some of New York’s funniest Jewish comedians to celebrate the Miracle of Lights. Doors at 7, show at 7:30 p.m.  — A.C.

Email Ali Zimmerman at [email protected] and Alex Cullina at [email protected].