Behind the Scenes With the Producers of ‘thank u, next’

WSN speaks with Social House, the LA-based duo behind Ariana Grande’s chart-topping hit.
Charles “Scootie” Anderson and Michael “Mikey” Foster of producing duo Social House. (via instagram.com)

The past month has been a big one for Michael “Mikey” Foster and Charles “Scootie” Anderson. Their Los Angeles-based production collective, Social House, has had a hand in chart-dominating hits like Ariana Grande’s “thank u, next” and “Dinero” with Jennifer Lopez and Cardi B. 

The duo follow the typical narrative of ambitious 20-somethings moving across the country in the hopes of stirring a career from their musical talents. Though Foster and Anderson didn’t know each other before relocating to sunny Los Angeles, both moved from their hometowns of Pittsburgh after feeling creatively restricted.

Despite hailing from the same city, however, they only met each other after signing to the same production house. From there, the chemistry was instant. Both Foster and Anderson could see that their musical tastes overlapped, so they began making music together and Social House was born.

WSN got a chance to sit down with the busy pair earlier this month, where they discussed  their beginnings, proudest projects and plans for the future.

After for pop stars like Jennifer Lopez and Cardi B, Social House released its breakthrough single, “Magic in the Hamptons” featuring Lil Yachty, early June of this year. The track — which has accumulated over three million views on YouTube — sets the stage for the duo’s upbeat, rhythmic-pop sound.

“We just wanted to make something we really liked, so we decided to write a song about a love that makes you feel young again,” Foster told WSN. “It makes you feel like you can dance in the rain. It’s a reflection of a good, honest love.”

Social House works out of a collective home in LA, which serves as a hub for fostering creativity among musicians. Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor and numerous Hollywood actors are just a few examples of the house’s former esteemed co-residents. And if you’re wondering about the name: Social House, uniquely enough, was the name of the WiFi in the production house. 

“The house that we were in at the time was the epicenter for creativity,” Anderson said. “We had influencers coming through and actors doing art.”

Foster and Anderson’s excitement for the future is tangible. In addition to the Sweetener tour, Social House will be heading to Phoenix to work on its upcoming record. But above all, the two are focused on keeping themselves happy and healthy, in the hopes that it will translate to their music.

The three things at the top of their to-do list: “Smile, breathe and be kind,” Anderson said.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 19 print edition. Email Ankita Bhanot at [email protected].