The exterior of the Morton Williams Supermarket, with a prominent red lettering that reads Morton Williams at the top of the building and the phrase The Fresh Marketplace beneath it.
How a supermarket became the center of NYU’s relationship with the Village
Carmo Moniz, Managing Editor • Jan 31, 2024

NYU and Harvard Law Reviews Sued Over Editorial Selection Process

monotony
NYU Law Review was sued over its editorial board selections. (Photo by Tony Wu)

In a time of retaliation against affirmative action policies, NYU Law Review has been sued over allegedly considering race and sex in its annual selection of editors and publication of articles.

A Texas group known as Faculty, Alumni and Students Opposed to Racial Discrimination filed the lawsuit. The group additionally filed a lawsuit against Harvard Law Review.

“We plan to strongly defend the Law Review and its policies, and have confidence in the outcome,” an NYU Law spokesperson wrote in a statement to WSN.

The case was filed on Oct. 7 in New York Southern District Court. Because NYU Law Review is financially supported by the university, listed defendants include NYU Law Review, NYU Law School and NYU.

The fourth and final listed defendant is United States Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. Plaintiffs ask that federal funding be withheld from NYU Law Review until the publication ceases to illegally give preference to racial minorities and women in its selection of student editors.

NYU Law Review was founded in 1924 and publishes six issues each year.

Email Alex Domb at [email protected].

Alex Domb, News Editor
Alex is a sophomore studying Politics and Journalism in CAS. He holds dual U.S. and U.K. citizenships, but he grew up in central New Jersey and will take advantage of any excuse to defend his home state at all costs. In his spare time, Alex enjoys debating the latest NBA trade, attempting to navigate the subway or wolfing down a slice of 99 cent pizza. Justify his shameless Twitter plug by dropping him a follow @dombalex.