Student Falls Victim to Extortion in Residence Hall

Crime Bot

From April 21 to April 25, the NYU Department of Public Safety received two reports of controlled substance violations, one report of disorderly conduct, one report of extortion, one report of harassment, three reports of larceny and three reports of trespassing.

Controlled Substance Violation

On April 21 at 11:30 p.m., a resident assistant reported that during rounds, she recovered alcohol from one of the dormitories in Lipton Residence Hall. Police notification was declined and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On April 24, Public Safety recovered a small amount of controlled substances and alcohol from a dormitory in Lafayette Residence Hall. The case is closed and has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

Disorderly Conduct

On April 24 at 11:24 a.m., an NYU staff member reported disorderly conduct at the Student Health Center. Police notification was declined, and the case is closed and has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

Extortion

On April 23 at 3:10 p.m., an NYU student reported that he was a victim of extortion in University Residence Hall. A police report was filed and the case is open and under investigation.

Harassment

On April 22 at 6:08 p.m., an NYU student reported that she was a victim of harassment in Washington Square Park. Police notification was declined and the case is open and under investigation.

Larceny

On April 24 at 11:10 a.m., an NYU staff member reported a wallet missing from a desk drawer in 5 MetroTech Center. The case is open and under investigation.

On April 24 at 9:13 p.m., an NYU student reported that his running shoes were missing from a locker room in Palladium Residence Hall. Police notification was declined and the case is open and under investigation.

On April 25 at 10:15 a.m., an NYU student reported that items were missing from his book bag in the Basic Science building. Police notification was declined and the case is open and under investigation.

Trespassing

On April 21 at 11:10 p.m., a Public Safety officer reported a trespassing on the 11th and 12th floors of the Elmer Holmes Bobst Library. Police notification was declined and the case is open and under investigation.

On April 22 at 11:38 p.m., a Public Safety officer reported a trespassing on the 11th and 12th floors of Bobst Library. Police notification was declined, and the case is open and under investigation.

On April 23 at 10:23 a.m., an NYU Public Safety officer reported that a person was trespassing at the Tisch Hall bike racks. A police report was filed and the case was referred to the New York Police Department.

A version of this article appeared in the April 30 print edition. Email Crime Bot at [email protected]