Food Paradise at The High Line

Sam Klein

La Sonrisa Empanadas is one of many food vendors open at the Highline during the day.

Joanna Pisacone, Contributing Writer

Although spring may seem as if it will never make its full appearance, the High Line does not hesitate to welcome its outdoor food lineup. As the weather slowly begins to warm up, take time at the end of the semester to venture off to the High Line to try treats ranging from sweet to savory. Enjoy the nature the city has to offer while you adhere to your foodie instincts.

For a sit-down option, Terroir, located directly on the High Line, opened April 21. The location offers a number of dishes from small plates to hearty steaks. Additionally, the menu takes vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options into consideration. Given where it is on the High Line, Terroir has a mixture of scenery from the industrial buildings to relaxing water across the way. This makes for the perfect atmosphere to be in while eating.

However, the main attractions at the High Line are the Instagram-worthy products that come from the food carts along the way. La Newyorkina, a Mexican dessert company, is the first to appear in the long lineup. Offering different flavors of sorbets and ice creams with various unique toppings, a snack from La Newyorkina could never be a mistake. The vibrant colors of each treat will make choosing what to get even harder.

Another Instagram favorite would be the popular ice cream sandwiches from Melt Bakery. Although the shop does have storefront locations, you can find them in two places on the High Line: 15th Street and 30th Street. The sandwiches come in a variety of flavors, smothering a thick layer of ice cream between two warm, gooey cookies. When looking at the bakery’s Instagram it is clear that a photo of this dessert is essential to the summer in the city aesthetic for your feed.

The final dessert option to choose from is L’Arte del Gelato. The gelato company originated in Sicily and has found its way to the High Line. It offers monthly flavors ranging from pistachio to chocolate with a hint of orange. L’Arte Del Gelato prides itself on not using artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.

If you’re not someone with a sweet tooth, don’t worry — you’re not out of luck. Tastalu, is an Italian “grab and go” spot. Serving gourmet paninis, Tastalu is new to both New York City as well as the High Line. The company is truly authentic given that its bread is freshly baked and that its produce is local. Choosing to open along the High Line just in time for the nice weather has added this vendor to the list of food-worthy photos.

The lineup ends with a favorite, Perros y Vainas. The Venezuelan street-style vendor promotes its quote “Eat Happily,” as it introduces cuisine from Venezuela while helping those at home. The initiative behind this company is to bring Venezuelan flare to New York City while staying true to the roots at home and not avoiding the problems citizens face. Proceeds from the flavor-loaded meals go directly to children in Venezuela. Now you can feel good about the calorie intake since your purchase and picture-perfect meal was for a genuinely good cause.

As food vendors slowly begin to emerge at the High Line, take advantage of all it has to offer. There is a smorgasbord of options from places around the city, all condensed into one location. Nonetheless, there is a reason they are Insta-famous, and you would be missing out if you didn’t give it a try.

Email Joanna Pisacone at [email protected]