Tandon Students Verbally Abuse Public Safety Officers on Two Consecutive Nights

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor

From March 5 to 15, the NYU Department of Public Safety received seven reports of controlled substance violations, one report of criminal mischief, one report of dating violence, five reports of disorderly conduct, two reports of forgery, one report of harassment, seven reports of larceny, one report of simple assault and two reports of trespassing.

Controlled Substance Violation

On March 7 at 4:49 p.m., an RA reported that she recovered alcohol and found a small amount of marijuana in one of the dormitories in Founders Residence Hall. Public safety later recovered the marijuana from the residence. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 8 at 11:48 p.m., an RA reported that during rounds, she recovered alcohol from a room in Lipton Residence Hall. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 8 at 11:57 p.m., an RA reported that during rounds, she recovered alcohol from a room in Coral Towers Residence Hall. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 9 at 7:30 p.m., a member of Public Safety reported that he recovered alcohol from students entering Rubin Hall. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 9 at 10:20 p.m., a resident assistant reported that during rounds she recovered alcohol from a dormitory in University Residence Hall. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 13 at 10:00 p.m., Public Safety responded to a report of an alleged controlled substance violation in Alumni Residence Hall and recovered a small amount of marijuana from the residence. The case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 15 at 10:00 p.m., a member of Public Safety reported that he recovered alcohol from students entering Rubin Residence Hall. Police notification was declined.

Criminal Mischief

On March 5 at 12:17 p.m., an NYU student reported that there was graffiti on a poster in an elevator in Goddard Residence Hall. Police notification was declined, and the case is open and under investigation.

Disorderly Conduct

On March 5 at 2:20 p.m., an NYU staff member reported that a non-NYU affiliated person entered Vanderbilt Hall, yelling and demanding to speak to someone, and refused to leave. Police were notified and the person was escorted out of the building.

On March 9 at 1:45 a.m., an NYU student and her guest yelled at and verbally abused several public safety officers in the Othmer Residence Hall lobby. Police were called and the guest left without further incident. The case is open and under investigation.

On March 10 at 12:47 a.m., an NYU student verbally abused several public safety officers and an RA in the Othmer Residence Hall lobby. Police notification was declined, and the case is open and under investigation. 

On March 11 at 12:47 a.m., an RA reported that a student became verbally and physically aggressive in the West 13th Street Residence Hall hallways. The police were called, and the student was taken to the hospital. The case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 13 at 12:55 p.m., an NYU alumnus refused to leave the premises and acted in a disorderly manner in the lobby of Vanderbilt Hall. Police were called and an arrest was made.

Dating Violence

On March 11 at 1:38 a.m., an RA reported that she witnessed an NYU student punch and throw a bottle at his significant other. No injuries were reported, and police notification was declined. The RA also recovered alcohol from the dormitory. The case is open and under investigation.

Forgery

On March 6 at 12:25 p.m., a Lost and Found staff member reported receipt of a forged instrument at 7 Washington Place. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

On March 9 at 12:27 p.m., a Lost and Found staff member reported receipt of a forged instrument. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

Harassment

On March 6, an NYU student reported that another student verbally harassed her. Police notification was declined, and the case has been referred to the Title IX office.

Larceny

On March 5 at 12:36 a.m., an NYU student reported that his bike seat had been removed from his bike in front of Gramercy Green Residence Hall.

On March 7 at 10:15 a.m., an NYU student reported that her laptop was missing from a counter on the third floor of the Basic Science Building. A police report was not filed, and the case is open and under investigation.

On March 8 at 12:50 p.m., an NYU student reported that cash was missing from her backpack in a locker on the fifth floor of the Basic Science Building. Police notification was declined, and the case is open and under investigation.

On March 8 at 2:15 p.m., an NYU student reported that a laptop was missing from her backpack in a locker on the fifth floor of Basic Science Building. Police notification was declined, and the case is open and under investigation.

On March 8 at 7:40 p.m., an NYU student in Founders Hall reported that her roommate borrowed headphones on Feb. 8 and never returned them. The case has been referred to the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services.

On March 10 at 11:40 a.m., an NYU Bookstore employee reported that a non-NYU affiliated person attempted to steal nine items from the bookstore. Police were notified and the man was arrested. The case is open and under investigation.

On March 10 at 10:57 p.m., an NYU student in Elmer Holmes Bobst Library reported that an unidentified person did not return money he had used to buy her an item from a vending machine, as agreed upon. Police notification was declined, and the case is open and under investigation.

Simple Assault

On March 8 at 12:08 a.m., two NYU students report that an unidentified man jumped one of them from behind outside the Barney Building. A passersby assisted and the assailant ran away. Medical attention was declined. The police were called but a report was not filed. The case is open and under investigation.

Trespassing

On March 5 at 6:14 p.m., a non-NYU affiliated person entered Palladium Residence Hall and put up flyers in the halls. The person was escorted out of the building by Public Safety and the flyers were taken down. Police notification was declined, and the case is closed.

On March 15 at 1:56 a.m., a member of Public Safety reported that a non-authorized person entered Lafayette Residence Hall accompanied by a student. Both acknowledged knowing that the guest was not allowed in the residence hall. The guest was escorted out with no further incident.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 19 print edition. Email the News Team at [email protected].