Who Served Looks at the Grammys

Amanda Burkett, Contributing Writer

• Andra Day in a custom Victoria Hayes suit. The Grammys are an annual chance for celebs to show off their unique style, and this year did not disappoint.

• Lana Del Rey worked with Gucci creative director Alessandro Michele on a custom gown for the Grammys this year.

• Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach and Jess Carson of Midland in an embroidered floral ensemble from RBennett & Co.

A few days following the Grammys, I have officially processed the award show and the stunning outfits that never fail to preface it. Today, I am offering up the red carpet ensembles that truly stood out in their originality — regardless of the fact that often, these events result in countless, forgettable outfits that leave us uninspired. After analyzing both men and women at the 2018 Grammys, I wanted to talk about the outfits I found to be crazy in good way. Although these looks may rub some the wrong way, they have certainly left their marks on the fashion world.

Lana Del Rey in Custom Gucci

Lana Del Rey has walked her fair share of red carpets, but unlike her previous looks, this ensemble was out of this world. Usually the artist downplays her appearance, but this was an exception. For the 2018 Grammys, Lana Del Rey worked with Gucci Creative Director Alessandro Michele on a custom gown — seemingly inspired by the 1940s movie “Ziegfeld Girl.” This look was almost comically in character with the star’s persona, embodying her romantic outlook on old Hollywood and stardom that is always present in her music and personal style. The star-covered crown on her head certainly boosted the ethereal aesthetic that Lana Del Rey always seems to own.

Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach and Jess Carson of Midland in RBennett & Co.

Typically, music’s role in fashion is reserved for hip-hop and commercial pop artists, and it seems that country performers are often left out of the mix. One can assume this is because of the seemingly stagnant nature of country music’s style — Midland, however, is an exception to this rule. The band has earned buzz from the fashion community for its authentic, beautiful and brave ensembles at this year’s Grammys. The trio wore custom suits by RBennett & Co., with commissioned embroidery by a local artist, Ft. Lonesome, in Austin, Texas. What made this look so impressive was the attention to detail on each suit, as well as the unity of structure combined with the unique qualities of each suit. In these outfits, the group not only stood out but also showed a borderline comic and stylistic loyalty to its craft.

Andra Day in Victoria Hayes

Andra Day is a red carpet icon; her style is ever-changing and limitless. Day often leans toward past stylistic periods instead of current trends, while never doing the same look twice. For the 2018 Grammys, Day was true to herself and stood out among a sea of typical gowns. Her decision to opt for a beehive hairstyle was a complete blast from the past, channeling Patsy Stone — a 1990s fictional character from the television show, “Absolutely Fabulous.” Her gown’s unique color combination of lilac and ruby red was also impossible to ignore. The structure of the gown was a flawless suiting silhouette, and consisted of sharp lapels, gorgeous buttons and perfectly sized shoulder pads. Suiting for women on the red carpet is a timeless and empowered look. The Victoria Hayes take on a classic ensemble incorporated sex appeal while maintaining a powerful presence on the red carpet.

Big Sean in Salvatore Ferragamo

Big Sean’s red carpet look, although subtle, definitely made a statement. His stylist steered clear of the tuxedo option that many men cling to and went for a retro look instead. The turtleneck layered underneath a sports coat and topped with an overcoat was a nod to the unique menswear of the ’70s. What made his outfit more current was his footwear, combined with his silver jewelry and the mix of black and blue. Black and blue together is often seen as a fashion faux pas, but the placement of the two colors in this look was far from awkward and undeniably fresh.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 5 print edition. Email Amanda Burkett at [email protected].