Surviving Wintertime in New York

Dana Brown

A healthy and balanced diet including fruits and vegetables is essential to boost immunity and ward off germs in this chilly flu season.

Sherry Yan, Staff Writer

The biting cold air petrified New Yorkers when temperatures reached 9 degrees Fahrenheit on Dec. 31, marking the second-coldest New Year’s Eve in Times Square on record. However, it doesn’t stop there. The cold weather could last until March. Besides wearing more layers, here are some tips to smartly survive the freezing winter.

What to Eat and Drink

A healthy and balanced diet is essential to boost immunity and ward off germs in this chilly flu season. Fruits and vegetables loaded with nutrients are necessary to make sure enough vitamin B2 and C is consumed every day. Dark leafy greens, like kale, and citrus fruits, like oranges and grapefruits, are all good winter food options. Also, fermented dairy products, such as yogurt, possess the adequate amount of probiotics and other friendly bacteria, which protect from outside infection. Research also shows that the lack of sunlight exposure in the winter in New York can make consuming the correct amount of vitamin D difficult. You can make up for any deficiencies by eating more fish and dairy products asey are naturally rich in vitamin D. The dryness in New York reinforces the necessity to drink more water, which helps to flush out toxins and increase hydration.

Keeping Hands Warm

It’s necessary to invest in a pair of thick gloves. You can also buy some heated hand warmers — the little packets of chemicals that generate heat for hours — and put them in the pockets of your coat. Whenever you slide your hands into your pockets, you will be comforted by the heat.

Foot Soak

It’s said that a person’s mood can be significantly improved after taking a warm bath. However, despite the benefits, it’s not exactly practical to prepare a whole bath of warm water every day, so daily foot soaks for about 30 minutes are a quick and easy substitute. Feet, as well as hands, get cold very easily during the winter. Immersing feet in a tub of heated water not only warms up the feet but also relaxes the entire body after a tiring day. The soothing temperature helps promote blood circulation of the body. Epsom salt or essential oil such as lavender oil or wintergreen oil help to ameliorate the sore and pain on muscles and joints.

Work out

The crazy storms and freezing temperatures outside only add to the list of reasons to avoid working out. However, there are more pros than cons to why everyone should get out of their cozy rooms and head to the gym today this season. Engaging in physical activities is one of the best ways to warm up the body and enhance a healthy immune system.

Make sure you stay warm and healthy this semester.

Email Sherry Yan at [email protected]