When Fashion Meets Tech

Via Instagram.com

London-based fine jewelry line Banneya offers a simple customer-centric process in which customers are able to edit and decorate whatever they’d like, essentially creating their own luxury pieces online with the guidance of a professional jewelry designer they are paired with.

Sherah Ndjongo, Staff Writer

Nowadays, blurring the lines between fashion and technology is no longer an impossible feat. With new discoveries being made in tech every day, both established brands and up-and-comers have decided to create innovate ways of using technology to improve the quality of their clothing and accessories. This collective move toward combining the best features in technology with easily accessible materials has led to a breakthrough in the fashion industry that has only just begun.

Banneya

London-based fine jewelry line Banneya puts a new twist on the meaning of customizable jewelry. The company offers a simple customer-centric process in which customers are able to edit and decorate whatever they’d like, essentially creating their own luxury pieces online with the guidance of a professional jewelry designer they are paired with. What’s unique to Banneya is its use of 3-D printing, a process which is fairly new to the jewelry industry. As the first fine jewelry company to rely on 3-D printing while using materials such as gold and various precious stones, Banneya has challenged the jewelry industry to step up its game.

Uniqlo – HEATTECH Collection

This major retailer embarked on an ambitious path when it introduced its line of clothing made from moisture-wicking fabric that not only resolves the issue of odor buildup by drawing off sweat, but also is meant to be perfect for chilly weather. HEATTECH’s popularity is due to the fact that one could wear fewer layers of clothing during the colder months and still manage to stay cozy. Therefore, it’s a win-win situation for everyone. Customers get to spend less, dress more comfortably and stay warm while Uniqlo gets to continue experimenting with new clothing styles that are fashionable and innovative at the same time.

Rothy’s

Rothy’s signature ballet shoes are anything but ordinary. They combine the comfort provided by sneakers with the look of classic ballet flats. Better yet, these original shoes are made entirely from low-waste, low-impact materials that are made by hand, which ensures they last long and are of the highest quality. Rothy’s only provides its customers with classic designs that will never go out of style, ease mixed with sophistication and the opportunity to promote sustainability. These flats can be worn to any occasion, only adding to their already impressive versatility.

Kate Spade – Hybrid Smartwatch

One of the latest big name brands to jump onto the wearable tech bandwagon is Kate Spade with its own spin on the smartwatch. The smartwatch, in addition to trackers, is iPhone and Android-compatible so that users can keep track of their various everyday activities such as counting down days, hours or minutes until an event, setting alarms and receiving texts and emails. This advanced watch is water-resistant and has a battery life of six months. What’s interesting about the hybrid smartwatch is that it has a chic, more fashionable look to it compared to the typical smartwatch. It’s hard to believe that a watch with such a trendy exterior would be able to carry out such advanced commands.

Tech intersecting with fashion makes for an unlikely duo that works. Because this combination has resulted in such phenomenal products, it’s no wonder that it is already on the rise.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Dec. 4 print edition.

Email Sherah Ndongo at [email protected].