Learn Something Outside of NYU

Via Groupon.com

At Brooklyn Clay Industries, you can learn how to throw your own pottery and learn about the ceramic process.

Laura Rubio, Staff Writer

Being a student doesn’t just mean learning in lecture halls —  it means learning in life too. One of the great things about living in a city like New York is that you can find a class for just about anything. Whether you’re looking to get creative with your date, share quality time with a close friend or go at it solo, here are some experiences outside the classroom. No note-taking needed.

Tap Into Your Inner “Ghost”

At Brooklyn Clay Industries, you can get the full pottery experience for only $32 when you shop at Groupon. And if you’re 21 and over, you can even bring your own booze. You’ll get to learn the basics of clay, see a pottery wheel in use and create something from scratch that you can pick up in three to four weeks. Brooklyn Clay Industries advises that you bring clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty in.

Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum

Over at Piel Canela Dance and Music School in the garment district, you can buy one or two months of unlimited dance classes for only $30 or $57, respectively. They offer over 80 classes for different experience levels including salsa, swing and belly dancing. A nonprofit organization, Piel Canela hopes to teach students dance moves along with the history and culture behind the dances they belong to.

Fill Your Night With Pizza-zz

It’s lunch time at UNO Pizzeria & Grill where you can try your hand at deep-dish pizza making for $35. Not only can you eat your creation at the end of class, but you’ll also get to take the recipe home to repeat as often as you’d like. UNO Pizzeria is considered the first pizzeria to make deep-dish pizza. The founder, Ike Sewell, popped out the first of its kind back in 1943 in Chicago, so you know you’re in good pizza-throwing hands.

Don’t Throw Away Your Shot

If you feel like it’s time to move beyond Instagram filters and make the switch to manual, then this $30 photography class is for you. With it, you get a three-hour class titled How Do I Use My Camera? that covers basic concepts like shutter speed, exposure and aperture. Your teacher is JP Pullos, a professional photographer whose work has appeared in The New York Times and GQ magazine.

Plant the Seeds to a Night of Fun

You’ve seen plenty of Insta-worthy succulent and terrarium gardens, so why not make one yourself? For $35, you’ll get to join Plant Nite as they create mini-gardens in glass bowls and shadowboxes. The best part is that after you’re done assembling your verdant paradise, you get to take it home and watch it flourish. Plant Nite provides all the materials, you get to do the assembly.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Dec. 4 print edition. Email Laura Rubio at [email protected].