TKTK Session with Amelia Murray

Woojung Kim, Staff Writer

Steinhart Music Technology sophomore Amelia Murray came into the WSN office on Nov. 10 to perform her songs, “Calcium,” “Hindsight” and “Speak Your Mind” for an enthralled audience. After her set, WSN sat down with the artist to talk about songwriting, future aspirations and why she came to NYU.

Washington Square News: Where do you get your inspirations?

Amelia Murray: Probably my earliest influences are Amy Winehouse, Norah Jones and Stevie Sounds, but recently I have been into new artists such as Pinegrove.

WSN: Why and how did you decide to pursue a career in the music industry?

AM: For me, I feel like I did not have any other decision. I couldn’t see myself doing anything else. I definitely believe I made the right decision because I know I can’t do anything that requires sitting at a desk.

WSN: You have been a part of many shows. Which was the most memorable to you?

AM: I performed at a show [similar to] South by Southwest in Minneapolis. It was one of my first performances and I forgot the words halfway through. I didn’t have any experience like that before so I asked the audience, “Anyone know the next words?” The experience stuck with me because I was paralyzed and I had no idea what to do. I made mistakes and completely learned from them. So now I know what to do when things like that happen. But then I was traumatized.

WSN: You are from central Massachusetts. Why did you decide to come to NYU?

AM: I actually did not intend to come here. I didn’t like the city. I wanted to be close to home. There are too many people. I applied on a whim. I got accepted and got a financial package so I decided to go on a tour with my mom. At that time, I was totally going to Berklee College of Music. When someone asked me, I would say that I was going to Berklee for jazz music and songwriting. When I came to NYU and saw Washington Square Park, I had this moment where I was like, “This is it.” I think I made the right decision since nothing can win over the music industry in New York.

WSN: How do you write your original music?

AM: I think my best songs happened in a vomit. For me, when I am happy, sad or feel something intense, I sit with a guitar or a piano and start playing. It will tap. The song “Calcium” when I first played it is 90 percent the same as now. I capture the feeling I have in that moment.

WSN: How is your new extended play coming along for the fall and winter season?

AM: It is definitely coming along. The single “Calcium” will be released in early December and the EP will be out shortly after. I am recording it with two of my friends who have been a huge help.

Amelia is currently managed by Saigal City Music Group, a music management company founded by NYU Music Business sophomore Ashna Saigal. The company is currently working with her on the release of her first single, Calcium. Follow Amelia here to get updates on single and EP releases. AmeliaMurrayMusic.com SaigalCityMusicGroup.com

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 27 print edition.

Email Woojung Kim at [email protected].