Weekly Sports Update: Oct. 30 to Nov. 5

Via gonyuathletics.com

NYU men’s wrestling team beat 11 team to win the Ned McGinley Invitational on Nov. 4 at King’s College.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

Men’s Cross Country

Men’s cross country a made successful trip to Milton, New York on Saturday, Nov. 4 to compete in the Eastern College Athletic Conference. The Violets dominated in the 12 team event, placing first overall. The Violets remarkably placed all seven of their members in the top 15.

The team’s strong finish was spearheaded by SPS junior Julian Marrufo and CAS sophomore Jack Lillian, who placed in third and fourth respectively out of the 71 runners competing.

The team competes next on Saturday, Nov. 11 in the Atlantic Regional Championship hosted at Houghton College in Houghton, New York.

Women’s Soccer

On Saturday, Nov. 4, the Violets played their final regular season match at Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. Both teams were scoreless in the first half, but in the second half Tisch freshman Nalani Ogawa was able to make contact with the net after making a connection on a free kick from 25-yards out. Brandeis was quick to respond though, bringing the game to 1-1. The game remained tied throughout double-overtime sessions.

NYU concluded its regular season with an overall record of 10-5-3 and is waiting to see if they will be selected for postseason contest.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team lost their final game of the regular season against Brandeis University on Saturday, Nov. 4 in Waltham, Massachusetts. Brandeis simply created more opportunities to score, having more shots off and on goal, resulting in their two goals.

The Violets ended their season with a record of 8-7-2, and are waiting to see if they will be selected for postseason play.

Swimming and Diving

Both the men and women’s swimming and diving team swept in their fall invitationals on Friday, Nov. 3 and Saturday, Nov. 4, hosted at Palladium Athletic Facility. Both teams dominated the meets, winning by a landslide.

For the women, six Violets earned first place finishes in their events. Additionally, the team took first in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

In diving, the Violets’ CAS sophomore Carmen White won both the one-meter and three-meter dives. CAS freshman Ashlyn King was right behind her, taking second place in both dives.

For the men’s team, Five Violets came in first place for their events, and the team also won their 400-yard freestyle relay. In addition to these wins, SPS senior Ian Rainey’s time in the 400-yard IM event qualified for a NCAA cut.

For diving, SPS junior Connor Brisson won both the one-meter and three-meter events.

The Violets swim again on Saturday, Nov. 19, when they host Johns Hopkins University at Palladium.

Women’s Volleyball

On Saturday, Nov. 4 the women’s volleyball traveled to Atlanta, Georgia to compete in the UAA Championship. While the Violets lost in their first two matches against Washington University in St. Louis and University of Rochester, they ended their season with a win against Brandeis University, winning the match 3-2 with scores of 13-25, 20-25, 25-20, 25-21,15-9.

The Violets concluded their season with a record of 11-22.

Wrestling

Wrestling finally had their season opener on Saturday, Nov. 4 at the Ned McGinley Invitational, hosted by King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. NYU ruled over the 12-team event, winning with 158 points.

Nine of the 20 wrestlers competing for NYU made it to the semifinal round, and 12 placed within the top six in their weight class.

In the end, an exceptional number five NYU grapplers of the 10 weight classes won their class championships.

The grapplers return to action next Saturday, Nov. 11, when they travel back to Wilkes-Barre, for the New York vs. Pennsylvania Duals.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 7  print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected].