Weekly Sports Update: Oct. 23 to Oct. 28

The+Women%E2%80%99s+cross+country+team+finished+in+fifth+place+at+the+University+Athletic+Association+%28UAA%29+Championship+on+Oct.+28.+

Via gonyuathletics.com

The Women’s cross country team finished in fifth place at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on Oct. 28.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

Women’s Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team commanded the play at the New York Region Challenge on Oct. 27 and Oct. 28 in Rochester, New York. The team won all three of its matches, coming in first place at the end of the day.

On Friday, the team defeated Nazareth College 3-0 in the first match of the tournament with a score of 25-22, 25-16 and 25-22.

Then on Saturday, the Violets started off strong, defeating Cortland in four sets in their first match, with a score of 27-25, 15-25, 25-15 and 25-23. The team followed that victory with another over Rochester Institute of Technology, ending the match with a straight-set win of 25-20, 25-20 and 25-23.

The team plays again on Friday, Nov. 3 at the University Athletic Association Championship in Atlanta, Georgia against Washington University in St. Louis.

Men’s Cross Country

On Saturday, Oct. 28 the men’s cross country team finished in fourth place at the University Athletic Association Championship in Woodland Park, New Jersey. The Violets were a mere six points behind third place finisher, Emory University.

Individually, CAS senior Neil Saddler placed second overall for the course, with a time of 26:06:2 in the eight-kilometer race.

The Violets return to action on Saturday, Nov. 4, competing at the Eastern College Athletic Conference in Milton, New York.

Women’s Cross Country

On Saturday, Oct. 28 the women’s cross country team also competed in the UAA Championship in Woodland Park, New Jersey and came in fifth place.

SPS junior Sabrina Herrmann took sixth overall with a time of 23:59.8 in the six-kilometer race.

The Violets race again on Saturday, Nov. 11 at the National Collegiate Athletic Association Atlantic Regional Championship in Houghton, New York.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team fell once more in a UAA match against the University of Chicago at home at Gaelic Park, bringing its UAA record to 0-5-0.

CAS junior Grant Engel tied his career record for saves, making 10 throughout the match. However, Chicago managed to touch the net three times, ending the game with a score of 3-0.

The Violets are hosting Washington University at home on Sunday, Oct. 29. The team’s seniors will be recognized prior to the game.

Women’s Soccer

NYU’s women’s soccer team earned both a win and a loss this week, bringing its overall record to 10-4-2 and its UAA record to 2-2-1.

On Monday, Oct. 23 the Violets dominated in a match against Centenary University on their own turf at Gaelic Park. Scoring three goals in the first half, and one goal in the second, the Violets locked in an easy 4-0 win. This win extended the team’s season record of going undefeated to six games.

Unfortunately, this streak was put to an end on Friday, Oct. 27 when the Violets played the number one ranked team in the United Soccer Coaches poll, University of Chicago, at Gaelic Park. The Violets, who are ranked at 25 in the poll, battled hard, but fell with a score of 2-0.

The women’s soccer team plays again on Sunday, Oct. 29, when it hosts Washington University in St. Louis in its final home game of the season. The seniors on the team will be recognized prior to the match.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 30 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected].