Weekly Sports Update: Sept. 23 to Sept. 30

This+week%E2%80%99s+recap+includes+Men+and+Women%E2%80%99s+Cross+Country%2C+Soccer%2C+and+Volleyball+and+their+upcoming+games+in+October.+

Kathy Benedict

This week’s recap includes Men and Women’s Cross Country, Soccer, and Volleyball and their upcoming games in October.

Tyler Crews, Contributing Writer

Men’s Cross Country
The men’s cross country team returned after about 20 days without competing on Friday, Sept. 29 at Lehigh University’s Paul Short Invitational. The Violets finished sixth out of 24 teams with a total of 230 points, coming close to fifth place winner St. Lawrence University.

Individually, there were 206 runners competing, and NYU’s very own CAS senior Neil Saddler finished in the top 10, taking ninth place with a time of 25:12 in the 8K race.

Men’s cross country competes next at the Highlander Invitational at Houghton College on Oct. 7.

Women’s Cross Country
The women’s team also made its return at the Paul Short Invitational and posted a top 10 finish in the College Women Brown 6K race. The competition consisted of 20 teams, with a combination of Division II and Division III runners. The Violets left with a score of 257, six points behind Oberlin College, which came in ninth place.

SPS junior Sabrina Herrmann finished in 10th place out of 167 runners with a time of 22:14.

Men’s Soccer
The Violets experienced a rough week, killing their winning streak with two losses at Drew University and Carnegie Mellon University.

On Tuesday, Sept. 26, the men traveled to Madison, New Jersey to play Drew, a team that was also undefeated. Drew scored three goals in the first half, and NYU rallied for a goal in the second half. Ultimately, the Violets were not playing their best game and left with a 1-3 defeat.

On Saturday, Sept. 30, the team returned to action and faced another challenging team at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. While the Violets lost with a score of 1-3, they became the third team to score on Carnegie Mellon this season.

The men will be back home at Gaelic Park on Tuesday, Oct. 3, playing New Jersey City University at 7:30 p.m.

Women’s Soccer
NYU women’s soccer played two games away this week, bringing home a win from the College of Staten Island and falling short in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania against Carnegie Mellon University.

On Wednesday, Sept. 27, the women beat College of Staten Island with a score of 3-0. The Violets earned an early victory, scoring all three goals in the first half. NYU’s strong defense only allowed one shot on goal the entire game, contributing to its fourth consecutive shutout.

On Saturday, Sept. 30, the team lost its shutout streak in a match against Carnegie Mellon, walking away with a 0-1 defeat. Carnegie Mellon scored within the first five minutes of the match, and NYU fought back for the rest of the game, but unfortunately could not deliver. This moved the Violets’ record to 5-3-1.

Women’s soccer plays away again against Rutgers-Newark on Monday, Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m.

Women’s Volleyball
On Saturday, Sept. 30, the women’s volleyball team participated in the first UAA Round Robin tournament, hosted at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio.

NYU lost both of its matches on Saturday against Washington University in St. Louis and Carnegie Mellon University. The Violets lost in three sets against Washington University in St. Louis, with final scores of 25-17, 25-16 and 25-13.

The women played a four set match against Carnegie Mellon, which was extremely close, but a loss as well. With multiple ties throughout the sets, NYU was defeated with scores of 25-18, 23-25, 25-19 and 25-23.

NYU plays its third match of the Round Robin on Sunday, Oct. 1 against host team Case Western Reserve University.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 2 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected]