Five Quintessential NYC Rooftops

The Kimoto Rooftop Garden Lounge offers Asian-American fusion with a stunning view of Brooklyn and southern Manhattan.

Chelsey Sanchez, Digital Director

New York City’s skyline induces the most romanticized prose, revered soliloquies and Instagram posts out of probably any other skyline in the nation. It is easy to figure out why. Even if living and studying in the city might sometimes lead us to take these sights for granted, to be lost among this superhuman feat of nature-defying towers can lead even the blandest of people to sigh in admiration. Rekindle your initial awe for the city by visiting these five rooftop bars/restaurants, where you can get the best vantage point for the gleaming, concrete behemoth we call home.

Kimoto Rooftop Garden Lounge | Brooklyn

Kimoto offers a fusion of American and Asian-inspired cuisine, like the Kimoto Kobe Burger and the Sriracha Buffalo Chicken Wings. Its contemporary menu mixes well with its urban atmosphere, where diners can easily catch a view of the Hudson River, the Statue of Liberty and the Barclays Center.

Northern Territory | Brooklyn

This Australian bar is the perfect place to watch the sun descend over the Manhattan skyline. The edges of this bar’s rooftop are decorated with fairy lights, providing the perfect backdrop for your next Instagram profile picture. Also, they serve brunch every Saturday and Sunday until 4 p.m. — and if that does not sell you, what else will?

Gallow Green | Manhattan

Gallow Green is one of those gems that can take you out of the city despite being in the heart of it. This rooftop bar and restaurant sits atop the McKittrick Hotel in Manhattan, but do not expect to find those typical hallmarks of an urban metropolis here. If anything, Gallow Green heavily channels autumn vibes, with its rustic wooden furniture and glowing fairy lights. The rooftop is rich with green foliage; bright wildflowers and the feeling of local intimacy that is so rare to find in the city.

Hotel Chantelle | Manhattan

Paris is another romanticized and cliched city, and Hotel Chantelle’s rooftop combines the best of these two worlds. Designed to mimic a Parisian cafe, customers dine among classic street lamp posts and wrought iron benches while sipping on specialty cocktails or glasses of rosé. The restaurant also has a retractable roof, making it the perfect place for either a rainy Sunday brunch or a dinner under the stars.

Refinery Rooftop | Manhattan

The Refinery Rooftop bar, appropriately called the crowning jewel of Refinery Hotel on its website, provides affordable menu options and a priceless view of the city. The bar’s decor features an indoor and outdoor terrace, arched brick walls and an unparalleled view of the Empire State Building. During the day, you can feast on a fried chicken sandwich from their lunch menu and at night share a New York cheesecake from their dinner/dessert menu. Either way, you are sure to leave with both your stomach and your phone photo memory full.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 2 print edition. Email Yasmin Gulec at [email protected]