Join the Club: Navigating Club Fest

Polina Buchak

Club Fest showcases all of the different extracurricular clubs at NYU, giving students the opportunity to sign up for a number of activities.

Thomas Chou, Deputy Features Editor

Club Fest: it’s the best of times and the worst of times. NYU’s semesterly club fest is happening tomorrow, Sept. 6 in the Kimmel Center for University Life. With hundreds of clubs to sort and choose from, it can be hard to navigate and pinpoint exactly what you want to do. From cultural clubs to print publications to even a club focused exclusively on cheese, it can be easy to get lost among all the incredible options. Here are some clubs to keep an eye out for during the massive event.

Editorial Publications

NYU has a large number of amazing publications that are built up of teams of creative people with similar interests in mind. If you’re interested in writ- ing in any form, whether it be journalism, creative writing or poetry, writing for an NYU publication might be a great t for you. Some organizations include WSN, Baedeker (a travel magazine) and Spoon NYU (a college-focused food blogging website). NYU publications are a great re- source to try out and experience if you’re at all interested in pursuing a future career as a writer, journalist or photographer.

Greek Life

While Greek life might not be as popular here as it is at other universities, NYU has a smatter- ing of fraternities and sororities to look into. Greek life at NYU can range from community service-based fraternities and sororities such as Alpha Phi Omega to pre-professional fraternities and sororities like Phi Alpha Delta, and even includes cultural fraternities and sororities as well. At a school with more than 50,000 students, Greek life is a great way to meet new people and find a smaller, tight-knit community here at NYU.

Cultural and Identity-Based Clubs

With such a large student body, NYU has an enormous number of cultural clubs and associations to match. Cultural clubs can be a great way for people to reconnect with their culture after moving to New York City or for some- one interested in learning about a specific culture to meet people and share experiences. With more than 60 cultural clubs, many are tailored to people of specific backgrounds or specific interests. Joining a cultural club is a fantastic way to explore, connect and learn.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Sept. 5 print edition. Email Thomas Chou at [email protected].