The Newest Addition to NYU’s Athletic Training Family

Bryan Costello joined NYU’s sport medicine department as an athletic trainer in July 2016. He works with the wrestling, women’s soccer and men’s volleyball teams.

Courtesy of Bryan Costello

Trevor Francesconi, Contributing Writer

Whether in the mid-atlantic area or in the south, Bryan Costello will follow wherever his athletic training career takes him. 

The youngest of four children, Costello grew up in Levittown, N.Y. and attended Kellenberg Memorial High School. And while he considered following in his father’s footsteps and becoming a police officer for the New York Police Department,  he chose to pursue athletic training professionally because of his love for sports and medicine.

A 2013 graduate of Quinnipiac University, Costello said that balancing clinical hours, friends, clubs and a full academic course load was a big part of his development into the person he is today — one who is able to pursue multiple passions simultaneously. Aside from studying sports medicine as an undergraduate, Costello also competed in intramural sports, specifically dodgeball and softball.

After graduating from Quinnipiac magna cum laude, Costello continued his education at the University of Tennessee, where he acquired his masters in recreation and sports management. Following two years at Tennessee, Costello interned as an athletic trainer at the United States Naval Academy, working mainly with the wrestling, swimming and diving teams.

Costello joined the NYU sports medicine department in July 2016. He is currently a member of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association and the Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association.

Costello said that the one word that describes him as both a person and an athletic trainer is selfless.

“I think a big part of athletic training is working in the background while the athletes have the spotlight,” Costello said. “I am always ready to help the athletes when they need me so they can compete at the best of their ability.”

Costello has been an athletic trainer for the wrestling, women’s soccer and men’s volleyball teams throughout his first year at NYU. Working with the wrestling team at the Naval Academy and at NYU has brought Costello a newfound appreciation for the sport.

“Wrestling is high energy and quick, which is what I love about it,” Costello said. “While at [the Naval Academy], I attended and worked the NCAA Division I National Wrestling Championship at Madison Square Garden where there were sold out crowds and extensive media coverage.” 

Costello mentioned Navy All-American Matt Miller, who pinned four straight opponents while competing. Costello also highlighted NYU’s own Nathan Pike who, after battling through an elbow injury early in the season, won the Division III Wrestling National Championship in the 133-lb division.

Costello enjoys athletic training at the college level and hopes to become a head athletic trainer someday. The fun and lively atmosphere in NYU’s athletic training room makes coming to work enjoyable for Costello.

“My coworkers are great — we are in tight quarters but we make it fun and interesting every day,” Costello said. “Establishing trust with the athletes and seeing them grow throughout their four years is something I’m really excited to see.”

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 17 print edition. Email Trevor Francesconi at [email protected].