Memes for Millennials: Now on Sale!

Thomas Chou, Staff Writer

Fashion has been especially transfixed on social media lately — it’s impossible to miss. A simple scroll through Instagram will show one of the oddest marketing techniques ever — the new meme campaign launched by Gucci. In an effort devised by creative director Alessandro Michele, Gucci collaborated with popular Instagram meme creators such as @beigecardigan and @youvegotnomale to generate meme ads for its new line of luxury watches, the Les Marché Des Merveilles collection.

Described as a “new collaborative art project in the digital space” on Gucci’s Instagram, the meme advertising campaign begs the question whether this is an attempt to appeal to Instagram’s main demographic — millennials. Gucci’s popularity on social media has exploded in the last three years after a complete overhaul with Michele’s creative direction, so this meme campaign does not seem too off-brand for the quirky Italian fashion house. Yet its success is uncertain. Only time will tell whether other brands will follow suit, but we’re on board with collegiate-aimed advertising and tried it out on several other high-fashion ads.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 27 print edition. Email Thomas Chou at [email protected].