Cover Up: Be Risky This Spring

Ryan Quan

Whether it has fur or pins on it, sport a fun jacket this spring to make a statement.

Rachel Molina, Contributing Writer

Spring is coming, which means it’s starting to warm up just enough for you to shed your winter coat and boots, but you never know whether you need a jacket or not. But this spring, your jacket is going to be your most important accessory. Here are some trends that will make you want to keep your jacket on.

Patch It Up

Patched varsity jackets are a fun and cool way to cover up — and almost every brand is producing interpretations of the patched jacket. You can either buy a jacket already made at Zara, or DIY by buying packets of patches from Aldo’s accessories section. All you have to do is choose a plain jacket from your closet and patch on anything you want.

Rose All Day

For chillier spring days, you might try a leather jacket that mixes studs with roses. Fashion blogger Julie Sariñana — also known as @sincerelyjules on Instagram — has repeatedly posted photos of a black leather jacket with embroidered red roses and metal studs from LPA The Label. LPA might not be the best option for a college student with loans, but tons of brands are replicating this look, from Nordstrom to Forever 21.

Half and Half

Colorblocked denim is a fresh way to update the classic jean jacket. Guess made an exclusive collection for Urban Outfitters with a color block denim jacket, which is vertically separated with a white wash on one side and a black wash on the other. While few other brands have this style, it is a must-have for spring. Pair this jacket with  super skinny black jeans and metallic slip-on Vans.

The Souvenir and the Light Bomber

After fall’s solid-colored bomber, a new lightweight bomber is being introduced this spring. It brings out prints and patterns for the warm weather. A similar lightweight style is the souvenir jacket, which typically has the name of a foreign city or country on the back. Either style can be found in many stores. PacSun currently has the Kendall and Kylie “Lost in Love Satin Bomber” on sale. These jackets pair easily with a shift dress or a pair of ripped jeans.

Playing With Proportions

Denim jackets are classic pieces for any season. Recently, designers have been playing with pocket displacement, length and denim fringe. Keep your denim outfits interesting with a jean jacket that has different shades of overlapping denim and frayed edges in unexpected places. The PacSun “Pieced Denim Trucker Jacket” will refresh your jean-on-jean looks.  

Email Rachel Molina at [email protected].