The Retailers of the Traveling Clothes

Corey Rome

The Goodwill Store, located at 44 W 8th St, also sells gently worn clothing for cheap.

Pamela Jew, Staff Writer

Consumers can’t keep up with the constant flow of new trends and big name corporations’ fast fashion because of tight budgets and minimal closet space. But consigning and thrifting are environmentally friendly ways to shop without breaking the bank, and you’ll never run out of stylish options to choose from. Here’s a list of the best places to buy gently used clothing and maybe even sell some back for a little extra cash and room in our drawers.

Poshmark

With Poshmark, you can peruse items from closets all over the country and sell your own clothes too. Sellers can list their items in under 60 seconds, providing a frequently updated selection of gently used clothes. You can access their website on a desktop computer or use the app for on-the-go convenience.

ThredUp

ThredUp, which claims to be the largest online consignment store, offers second-hand clothes for cheap, including dresses that start at $6. Just like Poshmark, ThredUp offers a variety of bargain items as well as celebrity-inspired outfits. The site is divided into sections for designer items, maternity, juniors and the basement section — which houses clothing with significant wear. On a good day, ThredUp also has special codes to save even more on top of the already great markdowns.

The Real Real

A luxury retailer, The Real Real checks all of their designer pieces to ensure an authentic product for the customer. They pride themselves on only offering the most prime upscale retail with big name brands like Chanel and Tory Burch. Their mission is to share valuable items with a new person who will treasure it as much as the original owner.

Depop

Think of Depop as the lovechild of Etsy and Ebay, where people sell their gently used clothes and handmade products. The app is easy to navigate; you can follow your favorite sellers and like items that catch your interest. Your liked items are saved for later, so you can take some time to decide before you buy.

Tradesy

A clear Etsy ripoff by name, Tradesy offers luxury brands at prices reduced up to 90 percent. The website definitely allows you to splurge on designer items, and often their designer pieces go on sale and get marked down even further. If you sign up for their email list, you can save $50 on your first order of $400 or more.

2nd Time Around

Featuring designers like Diane von Furstenburg and Prada, 2nd Time Around allows every shopper to find a coveted designer accessory piece with a highly marked down price. The markdown is provided for every item on the site. The only downside of the website is that it is void of tops, skirts and pants. If you’re in the mood for some traditional in-person shopping, 2nd Time Around has several locations around New York City — even a West Village location.

Email Pamela Jew at [email protected].