Alumni Hall

Jemima McEvoy, News Editor

Residency: Upperclassmen, Graduate
Estimated yearly cost: $21,112
Low-cost rooms available: No
Commute to class: 10-15 minute walk to WSP, 25-30 minute subway ride to Tandon
Nearby subways: R, W, 6
Shuttle: Yes

Despite its misleading name, Alumni Hall is open to approximately 450 upperclassmen and graduate residents. Alumni is only minutes away from both the Astor Place subway station and its neighboring Eighth and Broadway stop. But for students who prefer above ground transportation, the free NYU Shuttle stops at 13th Street and Third Avenue.

With a relatively desirable location — only a 10-15 minute walk to Washington Square Park — in this area, residents also have an abundance of East Asian restaurants, cute coffee shops and exposure to the looming silhouette of the allusive Astor Place green man.

Another perk of Alumni for those who prefer a little alone time is that all the rooms are singles. All residents will have rooms to themselves, but they share a suite with one to three others living in single bedrooms. The bedrooms come equipped with a bed, closet, dresser and desk, while the adjacent common area includes a table and chairs, as well as basic kitchen appliances. After a recent renovation, Alumni has two updated lounges, which include a television and pool table.

However, the bursts of color brought to Alumni with the renovations don’t take away from the bleak atmosphere of the white-walled building. For those who value practicality over appearance and solitude over cohabitating, Alumni is a great option.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.