Weekly Sports Update: Feb. 13 to Feb. 20

Via gonyuathletics.com

Sophomore Ross Udine scores 1,000 points for his career. This week, the men’s basketball team has faced losses, but it is looking ahead to the game with Washington University in St. Louis on Friday, Feb. 17.

Nika Woodfill, Deputy Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball  (13-11, 3-10) 

The women’s basketball team had a difficult week, with a crushing 66-37 loss against the University of Washington St. Louis on Friday, Feb. 17 and a similarly painful 59-37 defeat against the University of Chicago on Sunday, Feb. 19.

Friday’s game was a sweep for number seven seed WashU, which maintained a comfortable lead for the entire match despite NYU scoring the first basket.

As a result of Friday’s misfortune, the Violets looked to reestablish their winning streak on Sunday. However, the University of Chicago obstructed the team’s efforts and gained a solid early lead. Despite bounceback attempts, UChicago maintained its advantage.

The Violets will face Brandeis University in its last match of the season this Saturday, Feb. 25 at home.

Men’s Basketball (7-17, 2-11)

Men’s basketball continued its tough season with two losses, falling to Washington University 91-66 on Friday and to the University of Chicago 80-60 on Sunday.

Friday’s game was marked by a strong Violet defense. However, the number seven seeded WashU powerhouse was able to wear them down.

The Violet’s loss on Sunday followed a similar trajectory, with Chicago’s offensive aggression eventually deflating the team’s defensive momentum and solidifying UChicago’s victory.

The Violets will end their season against Brandeis University this Saturday, Feb. 25.

Track and Field

The Track and Field teams competed at the Artie O’Connor Invitational on Friday with the women taking ninth place and men taking 13th.

Both teams were bolstered by strong performances by pole vaulters. For the women, senior Dana Placentra led the surge, while pole vaulting success continued for the men with senior Nick Hespe.

Both teams will participate in the UAA Indoor Track Championship at Brandeis Saturday, Feb. 25.

Fencing

The fencing team competed at Columbia University on Wednesday, with the men defeating all three of their opponents and the women winning one of two match-ups.

The men’s team, bolstered by strong execution by senior Quinten Burgunder, beat uptown rival Columbia 14-13, followed by a 21-6 win over Vassar College and a 19-8 victory over Sacred Heart University.

The women’s squad fell to Columbia 24-3, however they secured a 16-11 win over Vassar College.

The Violets will face off against Stevens Institute of Technology today in Hoboken.

Men’s Volleyball (8-3, 4-0)

The men’s volleyball team had an important victory this week, defeating favorite Stevens Tech (16-25, 22-25, 25-21, 25-17, 15-11) on Wednesday, Feb. 15.

Stevens Tech gained an early win in the first round, yet the Violets recovered, winning the next two matches.

The team will return to the court against New Jersey City University on Wednesday, Feb. 22.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Feb. 21 print edition. Email Nika Woodfill at [email protected].