Staff Rants Feb. 8-14

WSN Staff

Please enjoy more rants from our beautiful staff. I can personally assure you that they are as lovely as their rants are angry.

On the Wind:

As a journalism major, I don’t fully understand why or how wind occurs, but as a small person with long hair and contacts. it’s one of the most frustrating environmental features. Really, someone please write to me and explain why we have wind so maybe I can ease the constant loathing I feel every time I walk outside on a windy day. Then, after you’ve explained the process, please tell me how I can stop it or at least anticipate the next large gust because I have no more patience left to be randomly blinded and pushed over while I’m just trying to navigate my life. — Emma Rudd, Deputy Opinion Editor

On Google Omnipresence:

I’m less ranting about my anger with the fact that Google knows everything about me and more rambling on my mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it’s really, really creepy that Google saves my search information, site history, personal information and practically all my other data and can figure out where I am even when I don’t know where I am. On the other, I get so disdainful of old geezers who cling to their flip-phones and insist on using hyper-protected, completely impractical ways to communicate with the rest of the world. I think it’s less that I disagree with the geezers on the dangers of hyper-collection of intelligence, and more that I don’t see avoiding it as practical or even possible. Under capitalism, we’ll constantly be mined for what has become a human’s most valuable resource — our data. An uncomfortable truth if there ever was one. — Hailey Nuthals, Arts Editor

On Music Taste:

I absolutely cannot stand when people put down other people for their music taste or because they don’t like other people’s favorite bands. Music tastes are obviously subjective, and shitting on someone else’s musical interests is basically making fun of them for something they can’t control. No one is shoving their Spotify playlists down your throat, and you shouldn’t act like people have a personal vendetta against you just because they don’t like your favorite artists. Whether you like country or rap, hate indie pop or alternative rock, it’s totally cool to have your own preferences — just stop making fun of people for what they listen to. — Natasha Roy, News Editor

On Fashion Fuel:

I was covering a show for New York Fashion Week the other day, and on my way out, I was given free “juice.” I put “juice” in quotation marks because I question the validity of its existence as “juice.” This “juice,” more specifically labeled Fashion Fuel, is one of the oddest drinks I have ever come across. It is described as a “raw juice blend with activated charcoal.” One of my primary concerns is the back label that notes that the drink is safe for “most adults.” What is that even supposed to mean? Why is this even a thing that exists? How did this get approved? At that point, I no longer wanted the drink, so I handed it over to the Opinion Editor, Thomas Price. Later, he tapped me on the shoulder, saying that the drink was absolutely amazing and that I should try it. Because I am someone who has too much trust in humans, apparently, I took a sip. To say the least, it was revolting. I am never drinking that “juice” nor am I trusting Thomas, or SoCal people in general, ever again. — Veronica Liow, Deputy Multimedia Editor

On the Price We Pay:

The person that sits opposite me in the office is extremely annoying. Everything about this person — from the blinding blue of their laptop case to the way that they wear a watch (who wears a watch these days, goddamnit) — pushes me to my breaking point. But I haven’t even gotten to the worst part yet. I swear that 60 percent of this person’s vocabulary is comprised of the word “hella”. Call me old-fashioned, but that word is just abrasive to the ears, and the fact that this person can’t make it through a sentence without uttering that blood-curdling word just tips me over the edge. — Jemima McEvoy, News Editor

Email the WSN Staff at [email protected].