Don’t Freeze out Fitness This Winter

Yoga+to+the+People+is+a+donation+based+class+located+on+Saint+Marks+Place.+

Viola Mai

Yoga to the People is a donation based class located on Saint Marks Place.

Caroline Zemsky, Staff Writer

When running in frigid winter weather is no longer an option, fear not. There are more fun, warmer ways to stay fit and healthy without venturing too far.

Try Out a Free Yoga Class

Yoga to the People on St. Mark’s Place is a Zen-inspired studio offering donation-based classes. Never done yoga before or, don’t have a mat? You can rent their mats for just $3. They offer different levels of classes, so you can choose whichever one you feel most comfortable in.

GCASL also offers free yoga classes for NYU students, with two daily classes on weekdays and one on Saturday and Sunday. They also offer a variety of levels and also provide mats on a first come, first serve basis.  

Experiment with Dance Classes

Looking for something a little more exciting? Dance your way over to the NYU Ballet Company, formerly known as the “Twinkle Toes Ballet Club,” which offers two free classes every Sunday in Kimmel. Beginner classes start at 1p.m., but if you’re more advanced, or are looking for an extra challenge, try the 2 p.m. class. Ballet is an excellent way to stay healthy; it improves your posture, flexibility, balance and muscle tone, and burns calories while relieving stress.

Use Meditation to Care for Your Mind

Health is not solely about staying fit and caring for your body — it is also about keeping your mind alert and active.  It is extremely important to take care of your mind as well as your body, especially during these cold days and even colder nights. Something about the cold just drains us, so remember to take time for yourself to make sure you are staying healthy.

Both yoga and ballet burn calories and focus the mind. However, if you are seeking something that is more exclusively oriented toward mental health, GCASL also offers free meditation classes Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  

Just Drink Water

It is also important to drink water.Whether that means drinking just water or a warm cup of tea, staying hydrated in cold weather is essential. Hydration regulates one’s body temperature, can help you combat the harsh cold weather and stay healthy and fit.  

So before you use winter weather as an excuse, remember there are numerous ways to stay active, both in mind and body, in the comfort and warmth of the indoors.

Email Caroline Zemsky at [email protected].