Springfield Squashes Soccer’s Season

Via gonyuathletics.com

Ashlyn Krygowski stole NYU’s one goal in the final of the ECAC on Friday.

Ben Goodkin, Contributing Writer

It was a busy final weekend of the season for NYU women’s soccer as the Violets traveled to Springfield, Massachusetts to participate in the the final rounds of the ECAC postseason tournament. On Saturday, the Violets faced a difficult challenge playing against the Grove City College Wolverines from Western Pennsylvania, but came out victorious in the end, 1-0.

The game started relatively well for the Violets as they produced numerous chances in the first twenty minutes of play. Then in the 38th minute, junior forward Charlotte Herbertz made a dangerous run in from the left wing and was taken down in the box, drawing a penalty kick. Senior captain Lexi Clarke stepped up and converted the penalty kick for her fifth goal of the season, giving the Violets a 1-0 lead. 

NYU created many more chances throughout the second half with freshman Alex Benedict leading the way but unable to find the back of the net. In the final 10 minutes, the Wolverines desperately tried for an equalizer, but NYU held off the late charge and successfully defended a corner kick in the final seconds to secure the 1-0 victory.

Grove outshot the Violets 9-8 and generated one more corner kick as well (6-5). The victory kept the Violets’ season alive, moving their record to 13-3-5 setting up a game with the host Springfield College in Sunday’s final.

On Sunday, the Violets battled Springfield College to a tie, eventually losing the Eastern College Athletic Conference Final after a penalty kick shootout.

The first half of play was closely contested with both teams struggling to find chances and no goals. Just five minutes into the second half, NYU finally found a goal. Benedict swung in a free kick from far out which was finished spectacularly by fellow freshman midfielder Ashlyn Krygowski who eluded multiple defenders. NYU held the lead for over 35 minutes, coming within five minutes of being ECAC champions. However, Springfield scored in the 88th minute on a header off of a set piece forcing the game into overtime. The Pride dominated the first 10-minute overtime period forcing NYU goalkeeper Cassie Steinberg to make some spectacular saves. The second overtime period saw many back and forth attacks, but no goals, forcing a penalty shootout. In the shootout, the Violets couldn’t score any of their penalties, with two being saved, and two missing the target. Springfield scored twice in the shootout, winning 2-0 and securing the ECAC title.

The Violets outshot the hosts 13-10 and generated five more corner kicks than Springfield. Leading the Violets on the day were Steinberg with five saves and freshman midfielder Isabelle Turner with three shots.

The loss ended NYU’s soccer season, moving the women’s final record to 13 wins, three losses and six draws.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 21 print edition. Email Ben Goodkin at [email protected].