Weekend: Fall Sports Wrap Up

Via gonyuathletics.com

Junior captain of NYU’s wrestling team, Raymond Jazikoff, won all four of his bouts in the first dual matches of 2016-2017.

Michael Thompson, Staff Writer

The fall sports schedule is almost wrapped up for NYU, with the volleyball team falling in ECAC play and cross country down to its final week. Fencing got rescheduled; meanwhile, the wrestling team put on an impressive show over the weekend, setting them up nicely for a strong season.

Cross Country

The NYU cross country squad returned to Glassboro, New Jersey on Saturday to compete in the NCAA Atlantic Region Championship. The men once again impressed, placing fourth of 44 teams, while the women finished 18th. Senior Jorge Maldonado was the Violets’ top performer, finishing the 8k race in 10th with a time of 24.49.2. Junior Neil Saddler finished second in line for the team, placing 30th in 25.10.8. Juniors Karn Setya and Max Mudd battled it out, with Setya finishing seven-tenths of a second ahead of Mudd.

Senior Justine Morris’ time of 22:54.1 paced the women’s side in the 6k race, while junior Emily Dethlefs finished five seconds behind her, placing 85th. Junior Laura Dorsky finished the race with a time of 23:04, and fellow third-year runner Megan Davis took 23:13 to cross the finish line.

The cross country comes to an end next week, as some Violets travel to Louisville, Kentucky for the NCAA Cross Country Championship.

Wrestling

The NYU Grapplers were dominant through and through during their trip to Riverdale for the PA/NY Dual, hosted by the College of Mount St. Vincent. The Grapplers swept the field, defeating Wilkes University, King’s and Keystone College and the Pennsylvania College of Technology Saturday.

After a tight 22-14 win against Wilkes, the Grapplers were even more convincing, winning by margins of 19, 31 and 34 in their next three matches. The squad was comprised of a trio of freshmen, led by Jack La Corte’s four wins at 197 pounds. Meanwhile, Evan Drill went 3-0 at 141, and Sam Schwartzapfel notched three wins at 165 pounds.

The Grapplers return to the mat this Sunday at the NYS Collegiate Championships at Cornell University in Ithaca.

Volleyball

Missing out on NCAA tournament, the NYU women’s volleyball instead made a strong run in the ECAC tournament, winning its second-round matchup against Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham on Saturday in straight sets before falling in the semifinals to Swarthmore College in four sets Sunday.

The Violets started the weekend with thorough victory over Fairleigh Dickinson. The Violets controlled the action throughout, winning each set by nine points (25-16, 25-11, 25-15). The team controlled virtually all major statistics, including kills (28-23), aces (18-1) and digs (43-35). Junior middle blocker Rayne Ellis and sophomore middle blocker Gretchen Cash finished with eight kills apiece, and sophomore setter Kathryn Goyette notched 22 assists.

However, the team’s season came to an end the next day in their four-set defeat courtesy of Swarthmore (25-23, 28-30, 11-25, 14-25). The Violets took the early edge, stunning their 26-win opponents with a first set win. They nearly took the second, as the set’s score was tied at 28 before Swarthmore edged the Violets out with two straight points. From there, Swarthmore dominated, ending the Violets’ season in impressive fashion. Cash and Ellis combined for 20 kills and Goyette had 29 assists. Junior Grace Napolitano finished the day with 18 digs.

Though the season is over, the Violets are likely to come back stronger next year. With no seniors currently on the roster, their experience and development as a team are likely to grow further in 2017.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 14 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].