Groceries That Will Make You Glow

Veronica Liow

Green tea and honey can aid in keeping your body healthy and refreshed.

Kaylee Warren, Contributing Writer

The average college student is always thinking of ways he or she can save money or get good deals. One’s beauty regimen is no exception. The markets around campus not only afford us wholesome, convenient eats but also great potential for natural DIY takes on beauty and skincare products such as facial scrubs, hair moisturizers and masks. Here are some of the easiest finds from Sidestein, Space Market, Lipton and nearby grocers to show you how to save your leftover groceries from going into the trash can.

1. Green Tea and Honey Mask

Many of us can appreciate a steaming cup of tea, especially that of the green variety, whether it’s your go-to beverage to start or unwind your day or something you simply hold just to make yourself feel sophisticated and cultured. Green tea is packed with antioxidants, which are great for reducing redness, preventing blackheads and brightening your complexion. After you’re done sipping a cup, empty the contents of a tea bag into a bowl instead of throwing it away. Mix it with a bit of honey to form a paste, and within seconds you’ve created an all-natural facial mask. Coat the paste onto your entire face, and after about 15 minutes, rinse with
warm water.

Ingredients: Lipton Green Tea (40 for $15), Organic Wildflower Honey (12 oz. for $4.99)

Where: Space Market, 1 University Pl.

2. Cucumber Lemon Detoxifier

Whether it’s a night out on the town or an all-nighter at Bobst, you can be left feeling drained. With this fresh Cucumber Lemon detox, all of the toxins — whether they’re from stress or activities —  can be washed away. Just find a water bottle of your choosing, add water, cut up some cucumber and lemon slices, add water and you’ve instantly made a delicious cleanse that not only purifies your insides but aids in acne treatment as well.

Ingredients: Cucumber ($1.49 each), Fresh Lemon (3 for $2.00)

Where: Space Market

3. Dark Chocolate Body Scrub

If there’s any left after you’ve finished savoring your favorite decadent bar of dark chocolate, put some aside to make an exfoliating scrub! Mix together 1/2 cup of either brown sugar or granola, a couple squares of melted chocolate and 1/4 cup olive oil. Gently massage your new concoction onto your skin to scrape off those dead skin cells. After, just rinse with warm water and resume your scheduled
chocolate eating.

Ingredients: Lindt Dark Chocolate (35 oz. for $3.99), Olive Oil (17 fl oz. for $10.45), Brown Sugar ($3.49) (Tip: if you don’t have sugar, substitute it with any natural granola)

Where: Space Market; Sidestein, 5-11 University Pl.; Lipton Side Market, 33 Washington Square West, Gristede’s Foods, 25 University Pl.

4. Avocado Hair Mask

Avocados: one of the most Instagrammable foods, and apparently pretty good on a simple slice of toast. But beyond its nutrients and strikingly bright green color, avocados have moisturizing properties capable of softening your hair along with giving it added shine. Olive oil, too, is a wonderful moisturizer as well as a natural detangling and de-frizzing agent. Just mix these two items together and you’re on your way to younger, healthier hair.

Ingredients: Avocado ($4.99 each), Olive Oil (17 fl oz. for $10.45)

Where: Gristede’s Foods, 25 University Pl., Sidestein

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Oct. 11 print edition. Email Kaylee Warren at [email protected].