Volleyball Shows No Signs of Slowing Down

Via gonyuathletics.com

The NYU women’s volleyball team brought home another win this past weekend at Baruch College, bumping their season up to a high streak.

Rachel Ruecker, Sports Editor

The NYU women’s volleyball team played in the Baruch Tri-Match this weekend at none other than Baruch College. Coming off a convincing 3-0 victory on Friday at home against the College of Mount Saint Vincent, they extended their season win streak to nine with a 3-1 win over St. Mary’s College of Maryland and a 3-0 victory over the host.

Against the St. Mary’s Seahawks, the Violets held less dominance on the stats board, except where blocks were concerned  — as NYU out-blocked the Seahawks 8-1. The Violets were winless through the first set 25-16, but came back big to take the next three 25-20, 25-17 and 25-22.

Later on, NYU restored its total dominance, taking Baruch in an easy three sets, going 25-15, 25-17 and 25-10.

Freshman outside hitter Caroline Rapp was instrumental in the Violets’ success on the weekend as she led in kills for both matches, coming away with 10 against St. Mary’s and 12 against Baruch. Other strong individual performances came from junior outside hitter Jenna Dickey and sophomore outside hitter Annie Singh, who each had 10 kills in game one. Singh expressed her excitement about the team’s evolution over the season.

“This weekend we had some great games to prepare us for our conference play this upcoming weekend,” Singh said. “We learned a lot about each other and how we connect on the court in certain situations. Our team chemistry is definitely improving which is leading us to become more successful. This season so far has showed us how much depth we have on our team and how each team member is always ready to be on
the court.

“We are excited for this upcoming weekend in Pittsburgh.”

The team is, as mentioned, off to Pittsburgh next weekend to compete in the UAA round robin, first facing off against Case Western Reserve University on Saturday, Oct. 1 at 2 p.m. They will be back home the following weekend, playing Hunter College at the Brooklyn Athletic
Facility on Friday, Oct. 7 at 6 p.m.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept. 26 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].