Netflix Shows For Your Next Study Break

Jordan Reynolds, Entertainment Editor

Every college student knows that the only way to properly take a break from studying is to kick back and relax with some Netflix. While its movie selection may be lacking, there’s no denying that the TV shows Netflix has to offer are some of the best. Without further ado, here is my list of the Best Netflix Shows to Watch While Putting Off Your Homework.

“Parks and Recreation:” One of the best sitcoms of all time (in my humble opinion), “Parks and Rec” follows the lives of Pawnee, Indiana’s Parks Department employees. Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope is a fireball of ambition, love for government, and waffles, while Ron Swanson proves to be her exact opposite with his libertarian, anti-everything-besides-whiskey-and-meat self… and yet they’re the best of friends. The nice thing about this show is that every single character is amazing, making it impossible to choose a favorite. Not only is this show the source of the “treat yo’self” trend (Thanks, Tom and Donna), it is also responsible for the rise of Chris Pratt’s stardom, and that deserves an award in itself. “Parks and Rec” is perfect to turn on in the background while doing literally anything, and an episode is sure to bring a smile to your face.

“The West Wing:” Perfect for those losing faith in our political system due to the ongoing election cycle, “The West Wing” optimistically depicts what it would be like to be employed by none other than the President of the United States. A 90’s drama starring the ageless Rob Lowe — what could be better?  The fast pace of the show coupled with the fact that the White House staff resolves nearly every issue it faces by the end of each 44 minutes makes this a great show to watch whenever you’re feeling like your life is out of control.

“Stranger Things:” The smash hit of the summer, “Stranger Things” is a riveting mix of  creepy, nostalgic, suspenseful, and adorable. A small Indiana town is shaken by the disappearance of a middle school boy, and what follows is pretty much indescribable, so I won’t even try — just know that if you have yet to binge all eight episodes, an extended study break would be a great chance to do so.

“Freaks and Geeks:” The ultimate easy-viewing show, “Freaks and Geeks” is a one-season masterpiece from the 90’s that was the stepping stone for many big name stars, namely Seth Rogen and James Franco. Each episode is divided exactly as the name suggests: one plot line for the stoner “freaks” that Lindsay Weir has started hanging out with, and one plot line for the “geeks” — the nerdy Sam Weir and his friends. It’s simple, it’s feel-good, it’s relatable even 20 years later, and it’s perfect to take your mind off your responsibilities for an episode or two.

Honorable Mentions: “New Girl,” “Bob’s Burgers,” “Breaking Bad,” “House of Cards,” “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” “Portlandia,” “United States of Tara”

A version of this article appeared in the Sunday, August 28 print edition. Email Jordan Reynolds at [email protected].